Nonprofit or community organization
Last modified: June 1, 2009, 1:20 AM
Pedals for Progress envisions a day when:
1. North America recycles over half of the 5 million
used bicycles discarded each year,
as well as unused parts and accessories for reuse
2. Poor people in developing countries have
bicycles to get to work, obtain services,
and meet other needs.
3. The bicycle is an effective tool for self-help in all
4. Trade regulations enhance international
commerce in bicycles and parts.
5. Policy makers in developing countries respect
and support non-motorized transportation.
Our objectives are:
1. To enhance the productivity of low-income
workers overseas where reliable, environmentally
sound transportation is scarce, by supplying
reconditioned bikes at low cost.
2. To promote in recipient communities the
establishment of self-sustaining bicycle repair
facilities, employing local people.
3. To provide leadership and innovation throughout
North America for the recycling of bicycles,
parts, and accessories.
4. To reduce dramatically the volume of bicycles,
parts, and accessories flowing to landfills.
5. To foster environmentally sound transportation
policies that encourage widespread use
of bicycles worldwide.
6. To foster in the North American public an
understanding of and a channel for responding to
the transportation needs of the poor in developing