Program posted by: Oxfam America
Posted on: March 7, 2013
TITLE: Oxfam America CHANGE Leader
SUPERVISOR: Youth Engagement Manager, Community Engagement Team (CE)
CHANGE is Oxfam America's national student leadership program that offers college students the opportunity to develop essential leadership skills as social change agents while encouraging civic engagement and heightening their awareness of their own cultural worldview. The CHANGE Initiative engages students in community and advocacy efforts that address critical needs and helps students to find their own leadership identity.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Attend a week- long training in Boston that combines group activities, expert panels, and workshops with a multimedia teaching curriculum
2) Lead the creation of a new Oxfam club or the development of an existing club on campus during the 2013-2014 academic year.
3) Implement a current Oxfam America issue campaign on campus and host one to three events/semester. 2013 issues include building a better global food system and protecting the rights of communities affected by oil, gas and mining projects.
4) Submit an action plan and three progress reports throughout the CHANGE year
5) Communicate regularly with Oxfam Staff about their work
6) Represent the work of Oxfam to the public, including outreach through social media networks and outreach on campus as needed
7) Participate in regular campaign calls and webinars to stay abreast of Oxfam issues and direct actions for Oxfam on campus and in your community
8) Connect with other Oxfam Club leaders, current CHANGE Leaders and alumni, as well as other Oxfam supporters through networking and organizing opportunities
1. Rising sophomore or junior at a US-based college or university.
2. Interest in working on social justice issues.
3. Ability to handle and follow through on details and meet deadlines.
4. Ability to work well with diverse groups of people.
5. Commitment to understanding the work of Oxfam America.
1. Visit theCHANGE Application pageto create an account.
2. Complete the online student application.
3. Campus faculty or staff submits an online recommendation.
4. Submit completed student application and adviser recommendation by April 1, 2013.
5. Students will be notified about acceptance into the program by May 1, 2013.
§ Duration: May 2013-May 2014
§ 2-5 hours/week working on Oxfam campaigns
For more information about the CHANGE Initiative, visit www.oxfamamerica.org/changeto read the FAQ and watch the CHANGE video.
For questions, contact: 1.800.77.OXFAM, ext. 9415 or email email@example.com