Resource posted by: Susan Perri MPA - Grant Writer
Created on: January 31, 2011
Susan Perri MPA
Grant Writer and Fundraising Specialist
winning grants to grow strong communities
I specialize in organizational development and revenue maximization for municipalities, school districts, and NGOs nationwide. With a decade of experience, I strive to improve the quality of life in communities across the country. My services have resulted in over $20 Million in funded grant proposals and new programming in healthcare, education, and environmental conservation and sustainability. The following summarizes some of my recent work:
➢ $2,380,785 to community action agency in rural northern California through the Department of Health and Human Services to support Head Start programming for local children, including children of migrant and seasonal farm workers.
➢ $2 Million awarded to a Colorado county through the Department of Health and Human Services to provide 1,083 children with Head Start programming.
➢ $1,596,755 to a California university through the Department of Education for teacher training in special education to serve developmentally and learning disabled students.
➢ $998,107 to a western library through the Institute of Museum and Library Services National Leadership Grant Program to digitize and collect in a centralized digital repository information on local neighborhoods from official records.
➢ $990,000 to three rural Texas school districts through the Texas Education Agency to improve student achievement by providing technology training 21st Century and technology and information literacy skill development.
➢ $809,661 to a southeastern city through the Dept. of Housing and Urban Development to promote public housing for low-income families.
➢ $500,000 to a southeastern city through the Virginia Department of Transportation Enhancement Grant Program to build a Visitor Center and Trail Building to commemorate the area's Revolutionary War battles and historic canals.
➢ $450,000 to a southern state Supreme Court through the Dept. of Justice Family Drug Courts Discretionary Grant to provide parents addicted to alcohol and drugs with treatment and parenting education to promote family reunification.
➢ $375,000 to a southern California county through the Dept. of Housing and Urban Development to provide quality, safe and affordable housing to low-income, elderly and disabled persons.
➢ $250,000 to a western county hospital through the Dept. of Health and Human Services to coordinate continuity of medical care for foster children.
➢ $200,000 to a mid-Atlantic State Office of the Public Defender through the Dept. of Justice to acquire and implement high definition video conferencing as a tele-justice solution.
➢ $160,000 in private foundation grants to a west coast land trust for organizational capacity building and general operating support.
➢ $99,689 to a rural southern school district through the Alabama State Dept. of Education to match students with mentors to improve educational and long-term vocational outcomes for students at high risk for academic failure.
➢ $65,000 for a rural western medical center through a private foundation grant to implement high definition video-conferencing technology to provide mental health services to an underserved and isolated rural population.
BA: Health Studies (Goddard College, 2002)
MA: Public Administration/Non-Profit Management (University of Colorado, 2007)
1995-1999: Legal Assistant - Woods Oviatt Gilman LLP (Rochester, NY)
• Litigation Paralegal – due diligence, memoranda of law, trial preparation and assistance, legal research (LexisNexis, West Law, Law Desk)
• Corporate Paralegal – business formations, review and draft contracts/agreements, business plans, private offerings, research and prepare securities filings (SEC forms)
2000 – current: Independent Development Consultant - Grant Writer/Project Manager
Government Agency Services:
• Assist government and tribal agencies throughout the U.S. (universities, public schools, hospitals)
• Develop and manage projects
• Coordinate funding; prepare, submit and manage grants
• Maintain public and media relations
Non-Profit Organization Services:
• Assist community and faith-based organizations throughout the U.S. (schools, health centers, advocacy groups and conservation organizations)
• Membership coordination, planned and annual giving campaigns
• Special programs design; program evaluation design
• Capital campaign design and management
• Public relations and outreach; corporate sponsors
• Strategic planning and organizational development
• Major donor research and solicitation
2005 - 2010: Development Director - Hawai'i Island Land Trust (via telecommute)
• Prepare funding proposals for specific land protection projects, general operating support and capacity building
• Maintain relationships with corporate, private, and government funders
• Manage grant reporting requirements
• Develop content for newsletter, website and social media sites (Facebook, Twitter)
• Develop online giving campaigns via social media
• Assist with annual and planned giving appeals
My rates have been calculated based on annual average salary information for grant writers in the U.S. (per the Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics and recent occupational outlook reports). The annual average salary ranges from $33,479 - $52,469. There are many benefits to contracting the services of a professional grant writing company. Instead of paying for the high cost of a full-time grant writer set at the current average salary range and including benefits, outsourcing services to a highly qualified professional quickly saves an organization thousands of dollars. My services will provide a return on investment equivalent to your agency having its own in-house, full-time professional grant writer. The pricing options include either a one-year contract fee set at $24,000 or my customary monthly retainer fee of $2,000 for this particular scope of work. You may also hire me by the project for a negotiated fee.
My services consist of highly specialized grant writing to address the unique funding needs of your agency. I use a consistent approach in proposal writing to ensure inclusion of all of the required components of a successful application. My methods make the grant writing process clear and easy to understand at all stages of development. This grant writing process requires close communication and cooperation to ensure an accurate, compelling portrayal of the project for which funding is needed.
Please contact me for additional details:
Susan Perri MPA