Adrienne W. Thomas
Columbia University - New York, NY 2010 - 2011
Masters of Social Work
The University of New Hampshire - Durham, NH 2006-2010
Bachelor of Science, Psychology; Social Work, Cum Laude
Advancing Excellence in Long-Term Care Collaborative - Washington, D.C. 2013-Present
- Design, implement, and manage key operational and program activities in pursuit of the organization's mission, strategic goals, and opportunities.
- Interface directly with Commonwealth Fund to include providing quarterly email updates and assist in developing interim and final narrative reports.
- Participate in Board meetings, strategic planning efforts, and workgroups as assigned.
- Assist executive committee in grant-writing, budget development, and provide additional forecasting.
- Coordinate production of AE video vignettes, including contract execution, supervision of contract work and development of content and other material.
- Design and implement social media campaign increasing outreach and use of Advancing Excellence tools, resources, and website.
Kids v Cancer - Washington, D.C. 2011-2013
Director of Programming
- Advocate working directly with members of Congress and staff to support legislative initiatives focused on improving pediatric cancer treatment and the lives of patients and their families.
- Provide research and in-depth analysis on related legislative developments and policy initiatives.
- Leading a nationwide effort to increase awareness of the impact of pediatric cancer on children and families.
- Design and implement social media campaigns, organize fundraising events and recruit local and national volunteers to increase advocacy through targeted programs such as the annual Kids v Cancer 5k Run/Walk.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive SalesForce database for legislative, volunteer and organization records.
- Provide case-management and short-term counseling to young adults with cancer and post-treatment issues.
Hassenfeld Children's Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders
NYU Medical Center, New York, NY 2010-2011
Social Work Intern
- Completed patient and family assessments and provided concrete services tailored to their specific needs.
- Provided supportive counseling to patients and families in individual and group sessions.
- Demonstrated mastery of multiple forms of therapy including cognitive-behavioral therapy, play therapy, family therapy, group therapy, and counseling in complicated grief settings.
Hematology and Oncology Clinic, Portsmouth Regional Hospital, Portsmouth, NH 2009-2010
Intern, Patient Services
- Assisted oncology patients and family members with admissions issues, obtaining financial aid and support.
- Worked closely with hospital administration and clinical staff to refer patients to support services including Visiting Nurse Association and Hospice. Provided supportive counseling to individuals and family members.
Office of Health Education & Promotion, University of New Hampshire, Durham, NH 2008-2009
- Established and managed a partnership between the University and the American Cancer Society.
- Researched, planned, implemented and managed a program to support chronically ill students on campus.
Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Framingham, MA 2006-2008
Intern, Patient Services(2007-2008); Volunteer, Patient Services, (2006-2008)
- Public speaker at regional and national conferences on blood cancers and research and development issues.
- Participant in "Mission Day 2008" lobbying Congress in support of cancer research and patient services.
- Coordinator of national "Painting My Future" project displaying artwork of pediatric cancer survivors on Capital Hill.
Tufts University, Medford, MA Summer, 2007
Intern, Center for Reading and Language Research
- Researched reading disabilities in elementary age students, administered standardized language and reading tests, developed and implemented curricula and worked with children and families participating in program.
Awards and Community Service
Big Sister, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Washington, D.C. 2012
Relay for Life, Durham, NH 2006-2009
Chair Person (2007-2009); Committee Member (2006-2007)
- Spearheaded record fundraising of over $130,000 from 1200 participants for the 2009 Relay for Life at UNH.
- Chair of Survivorship Committee and active participant in publicity, fund raising and community outreach.
Nominee, UNH Student Leader of the Year, 2009: for demonstrated leadership in student organizations.
UNH Movers and Shakers Award Recipient, 2008:for academic achievement and community service.
Sobel River of Life Foundation Award, 2006,for essay on surviving and overcoming illness as a youth.
Fundraiser, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society; Cancer Free Kids, Cincinnati, OH, 2005 – 2008