Pardada Pardadi Educational Society is seeking a long-term volunteer to work on an ongoing microfinance and rural development program.
In May of 2012, our Community Development Team started creating self-help groups (SHGs) for the socially and economically marginalized women of Anupshahar and the surrounding villages. By the end of the year, the number of SHGs grew to 80 in 30 villages with over 1,000 women members. Today, we have 110 SHGs with over 1,400 members from 38 villages and growing. This has been achieved initially with the help of our community mobilizers; and now with the enthusiasm and spirit of purpose by our Samuh Sahelis who are out to prove a point to themselves, to their own menfolk and soon, to the world.
Currently, more than a thousand women are part of the Self Help Groups. They meet once a week, have had bank accounts opened for them, and are encouraged to save 5 rupees per day. PPES seeks a volunteer to help training these groups, bringing awareness to them about the social functions of the Self Help Groups.
The volunteer's work will combine fieldwork with administrative work. The volunteer can participate in
- Self Help Group management: Recruitment, mobilization, training and follow up of the women
- Financial assistance of the Self Help Group: Guidance, book keeping, monitoring, auditing, quality control
- Estimating, advising and negotiating individual loans for the different Self Help Groups
- Creating partnerships with the Indian government, the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD), the corporate sector and other NGOs, and fundraising with partners and donors
- Studying different options to create viable micro-enterprises and implementing them
- Developing optimized links to buy, produce and sell products
The biggest part of the success of the mission depends on the volunteer's motivation, dedication to the project, and will to work in the development sector. The volunteer should be willing to take on challenges to improve the lives of economically and socially marginalized women and children.
Skills and Competencies:
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Spoken Hindi an asset
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Knowledge in micro-finance and accounting an asset
- Organization skills
- Competence in project management and logistics an asset
- Knowledge or strong interest in rural development
- Good interpersonal and communication skills essential, including in cross-cultural and diverse contexts
- At least six months experience living or working abroad preferred
- Hard-working, flexible, and open to diverse experiences
- Ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results
- Ability to live in rural, remote areas and hardship contexts
- Preparation of personal and professional life to make a commitment to serve abroad for the full term of the service you pledge to PPES
Accomodation and food are provided by PPES.
Anupshahar, Bulandshahar District, Uttar Pradesh, India 202390
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Full time (30-40 hours/week)
International volunteer options:International volunteers welcome