Masa invites you to join our brand new literacy initiative! By tutoring for two hours a week you can be a part of the change. Join us in transforming communities through education —one family, one child at a time!
We are seeking dedicated volunteers to be a part of our literacy initiative, 2-4 hours a week. Volunteers will work with students in grades K-3 to help improve their literacy skills, and foster a love for reading.
Masa promotes educational attainment, committed leadership, and civic engagement among underserved families in New York City, with a particular focus on families of Mexican descent.
About the Literacy Intensive:
Starting in March, Masa will begin their second semester of an intensive literacy program to support K-2 students in strengthening their reading and writing skills. In the area where Masa operates, just 10% of third-graders read at grade level – so additional support is critical!
Literacy programs volunteers will:
- Work with small groups of students in grades K -2 to provide intensive literacy instruction, specifically:
- Work with students to identify, hear and manipulate sounds in words using games
- Support students in using tools to recognize the relationship between letters and sounds Practice fluent reading with students using instructional level reading material
- Perform daily read aloud to encourage reading comprehension and foster a love of reading
- Create an environment in which children develop trusting and accepting relationships with adults and peers that foster growth and development
- Collaborate in devising strategies for reinforcing material or skills based on an understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities
- Maintain and model high academic and personal expectations for all students
- Be available at least one night a week Mondays through Thursdays from 5PM-6:30 PM beginning March 28th 2016 through June 16th 2016
- Communicate observations regarding students' academic, social and behavioral status
- Be flexible, creative, organized and able to respond to change as needed
2770 Third Avenue
Bronx, NY, US 10455
Start and end dates:3/28/16 - 6/16/16
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Occasional (weekly or monthly)
Times of day:Afternoons Evenings
Days of week:Weekdays
Extra details:Training provided