Volunteer opportunity posted by: VSO
Posted on: November 26, 2012
Placement: Sebeta Special Needs College of Teacher Education (SNCTE)
Location: Sebeta, Oromia Region, Ethiopia
Length: 12 months
This is an exciting opportunity to use your engineering skills to play a vital role increasing disabled access and help the Ethiopian Government as they aim to provide inclusive education across the whole of Ethiopia.
What does the role involve?
You will work with the staff of Sebeta SNCTE, the only special needs teacher's college in the Oromia region, to promote, develop and establish inclusive education in schools in Ethiopia, with particular reference to physical accessibility. To do this you will:
• Support Sebeta College to become accessible for all instructors, trainee teachers and staff in line with government and VSO guidelines of equal rights for all in education
• build awareness of ways in which accessibility can be achieved by building samples ie. Accessibility ramps
• write needs assessment reports for requirements to make each building on the Campus accessible
• apply for funding to carry out the works which are necessary to make the buildings accessible
• produce a map of the college campus to identify and plan areas for future development, planting, playing areas, etc.
• create a map which can be read and understood by blind and visually impaired students and staff to enable them to find their way around the College more easily
• liaise with town and regional engineering staff to implement Government policy throughout the town of Sebeta with regard to accessibility.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
You'll have a degree in Engineering and significant experience managing construction projects. As part of your project management experience you'll be familiar with budget planning and carrying out work in line with budgets. You'll be able to work with limited resources and have excellent problem solving skills. If you have experience of working with government or local authority organisations then this would be a bonus. Ideally your experience would also include working in building and construction including improving disabled access. You'll be a flexible and positive person, able to work as part of a team and with a commitment to collaboration. A sense of adventure is also key!
And the rest...
You'll be based in Sebeta, in the Oromia Region of Ethiopia. We'll ask you to commit 12 months to make a sustainable contribution to development goals and in return we'll provide you with invaluable training before your placement, a local living allowance, return flights, accommodation and insurance. When you return to your home country we'll help you resettle and we'll invite you to stay involved with us through campaigning, development awareness raising and fundraising.
For more information about volunteering with VSO and to apply for this role please go online to: www.vsointernational.org/volunteer/apply-now and please put the following reference on your application form: ETH0230/0005/0001.