Volunteer Opportunity posted by: Gads Hill Center
Posted on: February 17, 2014
Do you want a meaningful volunteer opportunity?
Be a mentor!
New Horizons is a mentoring program aimed to provide positive role models to middle school students in the Pilsen community in Chicago.
New Horizons serves at-risk middle school students from the community. With the support of a mentor, every student is exposed to a variety of new and exciting experiences that challenge and engage them in academic and social activities. By establishing one-on-one relationships, mentors will be able to support the student on their journey to high school, ready to perform at his/her best.
We need individuals that....
- Come from different professional backgrounds.
- Commit to at least one year of mentoring.
- Meet at least once a week with the student.
- Believe that every child can learn and succeed.
- Are referred for academic and/or social emotional support.
- Commit to the program for three years.
- Receive a one-on-one mentoring relationship.
- Establish goals and, with the help of a mentor, achieve those goals.
-Gain a 1. GPA average during their 3 years in the program
Other activities complement the mentoring sessions, making New Horizons an exciting and challenging experience for the students.
Mentors will meet with the student once a week (minimum) for two hours. A minimum of one year commitment is required. Mentors will also attend quarterly training sessions. Sessions will take place at our Pilsen site.
We look forward to having you on board!
If you are interested or you want to know more about the program, please email Lisset Gonzalez at email@example.com