Looking for a challenge?? We have a big one for you - Join our mission to create environmental change through widespread free environmental education!
SONATI is a Nicaraguan non-profit environmental education organization, dedicated to promoting knowledge, love, care and awareness for the environment through widespread free environmental education programs for local school children and conservation projects with rural communities.
SONATI practices a responsible self-sustainable model, using micro-businesses to finance its environmental environmental programs.
About the role
Sonati is looking for an experienced leader with a passion for environmental issues to help us drive the next stage of growth at this vibrant and unique non-profit. The Business Director will be responsible for all revenue-generating commercial areas of the organisation: the Hostels, Tours and Custom Groups. The Director will lead a combined team of 25 local staff and international volunteers.
This role would suit someone with a finance, accounting or management consulting background who is looking for a change!
This is a great opportunity to gain managerial and leadership experience in a successful non-profit. Growing this small business will require you to test and develop the entire spectrum of your business acumen – from marketing to accounting to management.
- Manage and supervise all commercial operations, ensuring there is sufficient funding to support ongoing environmental education activities.
- Improve and grow the established hostel and tour businesses – including marketing, finance and accounting, staff recruitment and training.
- Support existing custom clients (large private groups), recruit new clients, maintain and expand custom tour pipeline.
- Support fundraising activities.
- Establish new SONATI businesses at new sites in Nicaragua.
- Work in collaboration and cooperation with the Environmental Director.
- Work with a board of directors in shaping and implementing the organization's strategies, policies, and initiatives.
- Experience in managing a successful business, strategic planning and/or marketing
- Excellent teamwork abilities and inter-personal relations
- Ability to train and manage a team of Nicaraguan and international staff, in a professional and friendly manner, at different sites
- Ability to work creatively with limited human and financial resources
- Entrepreneurial, idealistic, charismatic, and self-directed professional
- Very organized and detail-oriented
- Fluent in Spanish and English
The financial support SONATI provides corresponds to fair local salaries (although for foreigners practically volunteering salaries), and will allow a comfortable life in Nicaragua, where the cost of living is relatively low. The inicial financial support will be U$300 per month. After 6 months it will increase to U$350 and after one year to U$400. There are possibilities of additional bonuses.
Free accommodation is provided (local apartment or guesthouse). All visa costs will also be covered.
Leon is a vibrant and beautiful colonial city in Nicaragua. Home to some of Nicaragua's most prestigious universities, it is an exciting student city where there is always something going on. You will have ample opportunity to practice your Spanish with friendly locals. As an emerging tourist destination, Leon is the perfect mix of safety, convenience and local culture.
Leon is a great blend of old and new with beautiful old churches and festive traditions, but also modern supermarkets, cinemas, restaurants, bars and casinos. Less than 20km away are two great beaches – Las Penitas and Poneloya.
A minimum one-year commitment is required (in addition to 1 month handover training). Ideally we are looking for a candidate who could commit to 18+ months.
Find out more information about SONATI at: http://www.sonati.org//
- Leon, Departamento de León, Nicaragua 21000
- Estelí, Departamento de Estelí, Nicaragua 31000
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Full time (30-40 hours/week)
Times of day:Mornings Afternoons
Days of week:Weekdays
Extra details:Stipend provided
International volunteer options:International volunteers welcome