LtN Costa Rica is looking to increase its volunteer base with exceptional people who want to spend an extended period (3 months or more) volunteering in rural Costa Rica and working with elementary and high school students.
LtN Program Directors support the Country Director in all aspects of LtN programming. Some of the day-to-day responsibilities include:
- Inspiring the youth in Costa Rica to love lacrosse and learn valuable life skills through sports in general.
- Assisting in planning and running lacrosse and PE programs in Playa Potrero and surrounding communities. These include twice weekly after-school lacrosse practices, and daily PE classes during the school day, as well as any other scheduled programming.
- Tracking attendance, behavior, and other important metrics.
- Assisting the Country Director in strengthening LtN's Life Skills Curriculum. Developing and implementing games and activities to teach and reinforce the LSC.
- Assisting with volunteer groups and teams visiting LtN's program in Potrero, as needed. This includes helping the Country Director with pre-arrival organization, as well as logistics and hosting responsibilities during the group's stay.
- Helping provide content for LtN's website and social media channels
- Assisting the Country Director in the planning and execution of any local fundraising initiatives or events.
The right candidate for this role:
- Is at least 18 years old and a high school graduate
- Has strong Spanish language skills (conversational fluency).
- Has experience with or a demonstrated interest in working with kids, and has the level of energy and enthusiasm that working with kids requires
- Has a demonstrated interest in sports and/or fitness; experience coaching is a plus.
- Has strong relationship-building skills, strong collaboration skills and ability to work in a team, professionally and personally
- Has a high level of patience and flexibility
- Demonstrates a self-starter attitude; has the ability to work with a high level of autonomy and limited direct supervision.
- Possesses excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates the ability and willingness to work outdoors in an active setting
We are looking for someone who can commit to 3 months or longer. While LtN does not provide housing for its volunteers in Potrero, assistance finding affordable housing is available, and we will do our best to find an arrangement that will work for you. LtN does not offer any form of financial aid and volunteers are responsible for paying for their own living costs while in Costa Rica, including: housing, food, travel, and other personal expenses. Volunteers should be aware that Costa Rica is one of the more expensive countries in Central America and it is difficult to live for under $500/month.
Guanacaste, Provincia de Guanacaste, Costa Rica
Start and end dates:mid August - early/mid December 2016
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:A lot (10+ hours/week)
Times of day:Mornings Afternoons
Days of week:Weekdays
International volunteer options:International volunteers welcome