Emma's Acres is an 8 acre agricultural social enterprise located on Cemetery Avenue in Mission, B.C. that utilizes sustainable farming methods. The site has 4.5 cleared acres and one 95 by 36 foot greenhouse that grows non spray vegetables, flowers, fruits and herbs to be sold at local farmers' markets, restaurants, non profits, grocery stores and the LINC veggie van. In the spring of 2016, a second greenhouse of the same size will be erected, fifteen apple, pear and plum trees planted and a henhouse with 30 laying chickens built. Lunch is provided every day.
You like working outside, working with plants, and talking with people. You'll be chatting with people from prison. You will be working around federally sentenced offenders who have been cleared by the warden and parole board. We have activities for all levels of physical ability. Our age range for this opportunity is 19 - 80.
We are looking for someone reliable and consistent to work in our agricultural social enterprise. You will need your own transportation to the greenhouse. We work from 8:30am to 3:30pm Monday – Saturday. We will work out hours with you that work with your schedule. But we require a 1 day a week commitment for this position from June-October. Position closes May 30th.
What the volunteer opportunity entails
At the beginning of each day, the people working at Emma's Acres will be assigned tasks to complete. With such a large range of activities occurring on site, these tasks will be easily tailored to each individual's skill level, physical abilities and interests.
The work duties may include such tasks as:
1) Planting transplants or seeds directly into rows in the fields
2) Creating soil blocks in the greenhouse and planting seeds in the blocks which become the plants that would be transplanted later in the fields
3) Weeding in the fields and in the greenhouses
4) Harvesting vegetables, herbs, flowers and fruit for the various places where the produce is sold,
5) Various construction projects such as the second greenhouse, the henhouse, the cold storage in the Quonset hut
6) Preparing, planting and maintaining the apple, pear and plum trees
7) Collecting eggs, cleaning the henhouse, feeding and watering the chickens
8) Watering the produce growing in the greenhouses and in the fields
9) Storing harvested produce in the cold storage
10) Getting the harvested produce ready for sale
11) Creating the medicine garden and working with the Elders
12) Clearing brush etc on the site
13) Putting compost, manure and other soil amendments in the fields to raise the PH level and boost production
14) Build the drip irrigation system in the field and in the greenhouses
15) Keeping records of what has been planted and harvested
16) Sweeping and keeping the Quonset hut tidy
17) Preparing lunch for the gardeners on site
33270 14th Avenue
Mission, BC, Canada V2V 4Z7
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Occasional (weekly or monthly)
Times of day:Mornings Afternoons
Days of week:Weekdays Weekends
Extra details:Training provided
International volunteer options:International volunteers welcome