Volunteer opportunity posted by: Music Unites
Posted on: December 27, 2012
ONE GOAL. ONE MISSION = Bring music education to our schools across NYC's five boroughs and Los Angeles.
Music Unites is ready to take the organization to the next level, we are seeking a seasoned professional Development/ Fundraising Director to shape and deliver funding for after school music education programs to children from underserved backgrounds. The types of programs include student choirs, guitar lessons and songwriting/recording workshops along with opportunities to learn about the behind the scenes of the music industry first-hand from artists and industry leaders.
ABOUT MUSIC UNITES: Music Unites, a 501(c)3 non-profit, is dedicated to bringing music education to underprivileged children in under funded inner-city school systems. We work towards transforming inner city landscapes by empowering urban youth through music.
Our goal is to connect our youth through the universality of music by providing underprivileged communities with opportunities for a rich musical experience. This is achieved through music education programs and by offering established and emerging musicians performance opportunities in a variety of venues and locations, including schools, where they act as mentors to the students.
Are you passionate about music and education? Do you want to make the world a better place? Do you want to empower the next generation of musicians? Do you believe in the power of music to bring about positive social change and progress?
Are you a proven leader with a track record of managing large-scale projects and teams? Do you appreciate a fast paced entrepreneurial environment? Are you looking for an entrepreneurial opportunity to create something significant that MATTERS?
If you answered yes to the above questions, then Music Unites may have an opportunity for you to do something special.
The Development / Fundraising Director will be responsible for leading the design and implementation of Music Unites fundraising strategy and campaign. The goal of the fundraising strategy will be support Music Unite's objectives by creating a near and long-term plan and fundraising goals to both meet the operating needs of Music Unites/education programs. The position reports directly to the Exec Director of the Charity and it's high profile board of directors.
S/he will be responsible for researching and developing donor prospects and opportunities with key individuals, foundations, corporate and public partnerships aligned with the Center's key objectives, and will also maintain and strengthen existing relationships with the Center's current donor portfolio.
The Director will then work to develop the department (including recruitment of fundraising volunteers) to implement the opportunities.
- Fundraising Strategy and Management
- Lead and develop the Music Unites Fundraising Strategy to achieve $1 million operating match plus leverage resources for long-term financial operating plan of Music Unites.
- Work closely with the Music Unites Team and program heads to coach fundraising efforts and develop proposals
- Support the development and writing of proposals with the Music Unites Team
- Review and coordinate the delivery of completed fundraising proposals
- Track and monitor proposal development and subsequent reporting to donors
- Work with the Music Unites engagement and communications team to design, develop materials and identify key events for fundraising opportunities/ showcase
- Maintain and strengthen the engagement of the MU's existing donor pool to align with MU objectives.
- In conjunction with Music Unites' Board, cultivate new major prospective donors
- Work closely with Sr. Manager, Communications Strategy to develop fundraising materials, presentations, etc
- Collaborate/advise Communications on potential outreach/educational opportunities to feed the donor and prospect pipeline
- Minimum of 3-5 years of fundraising experience specifically in the solicitation of major gifts.
- Demonstrated ability of cultivating and soliciting significant gifts of $100k or more.
- Fundraising track record through the cultivation of foundation, private and corporate donors.
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills, including effective presentation and negotiation skills.
- Strong leadership capability, including working with multidisciplinary teams in a non-hierarchical manner.
- Proven ability to engage and collaborate with individuals across various disciplines, cultures and backgrounds to achieve shared goals.
- Work experience in an international and multi-site organization.
- Ability to synthesize and articulate relevant information to help inform and shape engagement in with key donors in a strategic manner
- Ability to guide a proposal development teams across the division meet group deadlines, manage time and engage effectively in multiple and diverse activities.
- Proven organizational skills and attention to detail and familiarity with donor databases
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines without compromising working standards and high quality results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, presence and ability to effectively build strong relationships both internally and external to the organization.
- Background in Music Education, related field and experience in fundraising in the U.S.
This is a volunteer opportunity for a non-profit institution under no contract of hire, express or implied, and with no promise of compensation as part of the conditions of work. By volunteering, your right to minimum wage is waived, however based on measured success on fundraising targets being met, Music Unites is åwilling to negotiate financial compensation.
Please submit a resume and coverletter to firstname.lastname@example.org.