Volunteer opportunity posted by: Youth Challenge International (YCI)
Posted on: January 11, 2013
Youth Challenge International (YCI) is recruiting a team of two Canadians for partner capacity building projects in Mwanza, Tanzania.
This exciting Youth Innovator opportunity will include a pre-project distance-learning program, followed by an intensive four-week placement in Zanzibar and surrounding areas from Feb 5, 2013 – March 5, 2013. While in-country, you will work with YCI's field staff, local partner organizations and the local government to further the reach and relevance of their programming.
Partner Capacity Building
Your background in gender, facilitation/training and/or monitoring & evaluation combined with strong intercultural communication skills will help build the capacity of our partner, Kivulini, and the local organizations they work with.
In conjunction with staff of Kivulini and other organizations working in gender-based violence (GBV) prevention at their Center:
• Support development of organizational strategic plan, with a focus on capacity building and support for GBV prevention organizations
• Develop monitoring and evaluation strategy for GBV programs, especially targeted at tracking changes in Women's leadership and advocacy targets at the community level
• Develop tools for organizations to use in the generating data and other information in advocating for women's rights and economic empowerment
• Review existing policies on gender and other workplace policies for potential issues regarding gender equity
• Complete final report to inform future groups and partner staff
Your Skills and Experience:
• Demonstrated experience working with gender issues in a multi-cultural environment
• Academic or practical experience in the design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation tools/systems
• Experience in facilitating trainings and workshops
• Experience working with grassroots organizations
• Demonstrated report writing skills and knowledge of monitoring and evaluation
• Computer proficiency
• Prior cross-cultural experience and strong inter-cultural communication skills
• Experience working overseas an asset
YCI volunteers are required to fundraise and/or contribute a minimum of $1,500 for these projects to contribute towards YCI's global youth development programs.
Preparatory support and pre-project distance learning
Modest homestay accommodation and food
In-country work-related travel
Comprehensive emergency travel medical insurance
What's Not Covered:
Airfare Personal expenses Visa fees Participants will be expected obtain the required vaccinations and take anti-malarials at their own expense
Please apply online using YCI's volunteer application form at: http://www.yci.org/html/volunteer/globally/applynow.asp