Volunteer opportunity posted by: Veterans Above The Line, Inc
Posted on: February 6, 2013
United States soldiers are returning home and facing homelessness and joblessness. Currently, there are many programs that help in these situations. Veterans Affairs has been instrumental in helping with placement. Many of these veterans receive assistance because they meet the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) poverty guidelines (ranging from $10,890 to $37,380 depending on the number of individuals in the family). In Massachusetts this type of assistance can be provided with Section 8 housing where the city/town/state provides a stipend to the tenant that covers all or most of the rent.
However, there are those soldiers that return home and find employment which does not place them at poverty level, and therefore they do not qualify for assistance. This 'lost class' wants the American Dream, and has the potential to reach it if they were given some aid, which would allow them to be placed in a better position.
The support that is the focus point of the Veterans Above The Line New England (VATLNE) is the participation of various statewide landlords, property owners and property management companies to provide discounted commercial and residential rent to qualified veterans. In addition, a program similar to that provided by Catholic Charities and Combined Jewish Philanthropies where VATLNE would provide a one-time payment of rent or utility bills.
The mission for Veterans Above The Line is to make a positive difference in the lives of veterans, who are unable to receive assistance due to their median financial status by supporting housing assistance and future ventures so they can reach their highest potential by providing committed support through member companies, landlords and volunteers.
B. Strategic Plan
1. To provide rental assistance and other support services to qualified veterans who exceed
the poverty level standards set by the federal government for assistance.
2. To match prospective veterans to rental properties with landlords who will offer rents at below market value. VATLNE would provide the residential landlord with the difference. In the beginning this will be based on fundraising and grant efforts with a goal of $100.00 per month to landlords. Landlords would be asked to donate half of the first month's rent to VATLNE.
3. To match prospective veterans to commercial rental property with landlords who will offer rents at below market value. However, VATLNE would not provide any offset payment to landlord. In the future there could be growth in this area.
4. To create partner/membership relationships with property management companies, realty companies and financial services companies.
5. To create a support program with an area law school for grant opportunity.
C. Board of Directors
VATLNE is seeking to compile a comprehensive board. We are asking those interested in positions to complete a form which would include biographical information. In addition, a donation of $2,500.00 or more would be needed to assist VATLNE. VATLNE is also looking for those interested in being on the Board, unable to afford the donation, but can provide volunteering or fundraising efforts in lieu of donation. The time responsibility would be four quarterly meetings either on location or via phone and an incorporation meeting.
If you are interested please feel free to contact Veterans Above the Line at email@example.com for further information.