Make a Big Impact in Costa Rica!
Though Costa Rica is an important tourist destination, many residents in local tourist communities and in the capital city alike have not had access to quality English courses. As part of an initiative to keep tourism jobs local, many hotels and local businesses have begun sponsoring English Classes for groups of local community members who need English to better their life situations.
English Volunteers for Change (EVOLC) in Costa Rica is looking for friendly, enthusiastic TEFL/TESOL or CELTA certified teachers to give English lessons in this amazing country.
When volunteer teachers arrive, they will participate in an intensive orientation at our office in Costa Rica's capital city, San José. Upon finishing orientation, volunteers will be taken to their teaching communities. Volunteer teachers will live with friendly local host families during their time in Costa Rica. They will be responsible for teaching English classes part-time (20 hours/week) and have the rest of their time free to plan their lessons and enjoy all Costa Rica has to offer!
Courses begin at various times throughout this coming summer. Teachers may choose to commit to a time frame of between 3 and 6 months. These 6 months are some of the best for festivals in Costa Rica giving the teacher a chance to not only live near some of the most beautiful beaches in the country, but to experience real Costa Rican culture!
In exchange for 20 hours of lessons per week with local groups teachers will receive:
- Lodging with a Costa Rican host family in a private room and wifi access
- 3 meals a day
- Local Transportation stipend and airport pickup
- Teaching Materials
- An intensive orientation program in San José with hotel stay included and cultural tour of San Jose
- 24-hour, ongoing support from the EVOLC Program Coordinator
- Site visits from the EVOLC Program Coordinator
-Real immersion as volunteers become a valued member of their community
- Competitive multicultural, international, and professional experience
- The opportunity to make a measurable difference in the lives of others
- University degree preferred
- TEFL (or equivalent)
- Volunteer and/or professional teaching experience preferred
- Willingness to adapt and a become a member of a new community
- Native English speaker
- Organization and responsibility
- A strong desire to live in another country and learn about Costa Rican Culture
- Commitment to service and volunteerism
- Ability to communicate well with others
San José, Provincia de San José, Costa Rica
Start and end dates:Late May start date
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:A lot (10+ hours/week)
Times of day:Mornings Evenings
Days of week:Weekdays
Extra details:Stipend provided
International volunteer options:International volunteers welcome