Volunteer Opportunity posted by: Sustainable Silicon Valley
Posted on: May 14, 2014
About Sustainable Silicon Valley (SSV):
SSV is leading Silicon Valley to a more sustainable future through collaboration with local
government agencies, businesses, and community organizations to identify and address these
highest-priority environmental issues. We do this by engaging prominent Valley organizations toproactively work toward self-imposed goals of reducing regional CO2emissions and water use –and helping them translate those goals into measurable results.
Position: Energy Content Co-Lead
Type: Non-Compensated Volunteer Position
Part-time Telecommuting is OK. Attendance at Office meetings in Santa Clara required at least
once a week.
Time Commitment: 10-15 h/week for 3-6 months
Reports to: Research and Implementation Director
About the position:
Energy Content Co-Lead is a non-compensated role. Working under the supervision of the Research and Implementation Director, the content co-lead not only develops content themselves but also oversees and manages content creation in the focus area of Energy, more specifically, how companies and cities can reduce Energy use, use more Renewables, increase Energy Efficiency, support Electric Vehicles, create Smart Grids etc. The candidate has to provide his/her own laptop.
In return for the volunteer hours, the benefits to the volunteer candidate may include: experience gained while volunteering on various projects, proving capabilities in a nonprofit organization in the field of sustainability, networking opportunities, and current resume job reference letter from the Executive Director of SSV. Most importantly, you will be helping the organization work towards its vision of a sustainable region, a thriving economy, a healthy environment and socially equitable community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Create content in the area of Energy.
● Guide the creation of further content through overseeing and aiding the work of research Interns and Assistants to ensure quality content.
● If needed, work with SSV's HR department to interview and hire additional research Interns and Assistants to help create content.
● Work in coordination with the Research and Implementation Director and EcoCloud Program Director to guide the development and format of the content.
● Manage effective correspondence, reply, forward, follow-up as appropriate in a timely manner as related to activities involving support of the researchers reporting to you.
● Prepare reports upon management demand regarding content creation milestones.
● May conduct research, compile data and prepare reports for consideration and presentation for executive management.
● May participate and assist in SSV events, workshops, or fairs that have a potential to attract new volunteers
● Maintain confidentiality in all aspects of partner, staff, and agency information
● Candidate should have the skills to research a topic and compile a relevant, readable, actionable report based on the research they conduct.
● Although experience and knowledge of sustainability or Energy is not required, it is an advantage.
● Strong motivation to excel at SSV
● Effective communication and collaboration skills in order to interact with individuals & groups
● Ability to communicate effectively via phone
● Experience in working with PC or Mac
● Ability to produce results in a timely manner
● Experience in internet browsing and search
● Knowledge of various websites & social networking platforms such as Linked-in & Facebook
● Experience working with Microsoft Office modules e.g. MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
● Extensive experience or education relating to Energy orbroader sustainability issues.
● Experience in Google Docs is preferred
Sustainable Silicon Valley (SSV) is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.