Portland YouthBuilders is a small alternative high school and career development program dedicated to serving low-income young people, ages 17-24, who want to transform their lives. PYB's focus is on helping students to complete high school and prepare for post-secondary education, obtain vocational skills, become critical thinkers and community leaders, develop viable career pathways, and succeed in placements in post-secondary education and/or employment in preparation for launching careers.
The Development Program Assistant will provide assistance to Development Department staff in order to increase financial and in-kind donations from PYB's growing network of individual, foundation, and corporate supporters.
The Development Program Assistant position is a full-time AmeriCorps VISTA volunteer position in the PYB Development Department. We are seeking a candidate that is inspired by our mission of helping young men and women transform their lives through learning and service. An interest and passion for helping youth through service is a must.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Reports To: Director of Individual & Corporate Relations
Schedule: Twelve-month, full-time (40 hours per week)
Position Starts: August 22, 2016, but a candidate must be selected by July 13, 2016. Mandatory training August 22-25.
Compensation: AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a modest living allowance ($11,676 before taxes/year in Portland, OR, based on the local poverty level), a monthly bus pass, and health benefits during their service. VISTA members also have the option of receiving a $5,775 Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or a $1,500 stipend after completing their term of service. There are a variety of other benefits such as eligibility-based childcare assistance, relocation allowance, and federal non-competitive status.
SUMMARY OF BROAD AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Assist with fundraising events
- Track and report on donor data
- Assist with PYB communications and marketing
- Assist and support Development Department in research of funding opportunities, preparation of meeting materials and grant proposals, and periodic grant reporting
- Drafting and editing communication materials for distribution to supporters and funders
- Acting as a knowledgeable representative of PYB at community outreach events
- Assist with planning and coordinating fundraising events and funder visits to PYB
- Assist with maintaining social media channels like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
QUALIFYING KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- GED or High School Diploma; Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Valid Driver's License and a good driving record (for the purposes of insurance coverage)
- Reliable transportation required; access to a car preferred
- Experience working in an office environment including the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and database software
- Social media experience is helpful; willingness to learn is essential
- Some evening and weekend work may be required
- Strong writing skills required
- Excellent communication skills and attention to details
- Experience with SalesForce is a plus
- AmeriCorps VISTA eligible
- Ability to pass pre-employment criminal background check and drug testing
- Must be a United States citizen or permanent resident
4816 SE 92nd
Portland, OR, US 97266
Start and end dates:Position starts August 22, 2016, but a candidate must be selected by July 13, 2016. Mandatory training August 22-25.
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Full time (30-40 hours/week)
Times of day:Mornings Afternoons Evenings
Days of week:Weekdays
Extra details:Stipend provided