Founded in 2004, Cambodian Children's Fund (CCF) provides life-changing education, nourishment and healing to vulnerable children from some of Cambodia's most destitute communities. This well respected NGO cares for more than 2,300 students and 16,000 people annually, providing to entire families and communities in crisis. For the children of the Steung Meanchey area, education is their lifeline out of poverty and CCF offers a solid education aimed at providing hope, opportunity and security.
In 2012, CCF was recognized as having "one of the world's best initiatives in innovative education", becoming the first organization in South-East Asia to win a WISE Award. The Cambodian Children's Fund is known for delivering a world class education program that provides transformational opportunities for impoverished young people in a learning community committed to quality and excellence. In order to meet its core mission, CCF has evolved and developed in a unique way that distinguishes it from other NGOs which focus on single or limited program delivery. CCF's 6 main programs have expanded to ensure that the families of the children who attend CCF are also supported, with more than 65 sub-programs now in place - everything from health care to debt alleviation programs - all of which exist to support the main goal of providing a consistent, high quality education to the children of Steung Meanchey.
BEING A VOLUNTEER AT CCF
Volunteers at CCF not only participate within our organization as highly valued and respected members of our team, but also as a huge part of our development and growth framework. Working to build capacity, Volunteer placements focus on sharing valuable knowledge and skills with CCF staff and students- either within a set position, project or via on-the-job training or workshops. Placements are extremely rewarding and allow volunteers a hands-on opportunity to help grow and develop the very core of our organization. By working with CCF, volunteers assist in empowering our local staff and students to truly become, not only educated and accomplished professionals, but future leaders in the community, and country.
Teaching assistants provide valuable support for CCF staff in the classroom by contributing to teaching the English language, mathematics and collaborating to provide CCF staff with new ideas and alternate teaching methodology.
Teaching assistants participate in assisting CCF teachers via hands on experience in the classroom. After first observing the class, assistants and their assigned teachers discuss the ways that they could contribute, depending on the needs of the class and the teacher.
Activities can include:
- demonstrating pronunciation
- one-on-one tutoring with struggling students
- assisting with group work
- running short activities based on class curriculum (guided by CCF teacher)
- art and craft activities
- going on class trips
- assisting with reading or computer time
- providing new games to learn English and Maths
Over the placement period, the volunteer and teacher are to work closely together in collaborating about lesson plans, scheduled activities and new ways to make learning fun and enjoyable.
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
- CCF Teachers
- CCF Students
- CCF Education Officers
- CCF Facility Staff
- Improved conversation skills of CCF students
- Improved pronunciation skills of CCF students
- Increased vocabulary of CCF students and teachers
- Additional assistance offered to struggling students
- New lesson ideas for CCF teachers to use in lessons
- Improved English and communication skills of CCF teachers
The successful applicant will need tobe a native English speaker and be confident working with others in a structured classroom environment. Experience or qualifications in education, teaching, childcare, ESL, ESOL, TESOL or equivalent experience preferred.
The recruiting panel will need to feel confident that the successful candidate understands the CCF values and demonstrates associated behaviors.
- Able to demonstrate CCF values in day-to-day work
- Work well in a team, particularly within different cultures
- Motivated self-starter
- Responsible and accountable
- Report on expected outcomes of placement activities and share any produced materials with CCF
OTHER BITS& PIECES
At CCF we care for a lot of children and their families- but we also care about you. To ensure that everyone is safe we require all volunteers it provide:
- A federal level police screening from your country of residence to ensure you are safe to work with children
- Two references we can contact for additional background checks
- Copy of your valid passport
- A passport photo
- Proof of your relevant qualifications
- Travel Insurance for the duration of your placement at CCF (medical evacuation coverage at a minimum)
- Phnom Penh, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Full time (30-40 hours/week)
Days of week:Weekdays
International volunteer options:International volunteers welcome