AmeriCorps VISTA position – a 12 month commitment starting as early as April
Tuesday – Saturday, 8:30am to 5:00 pm.
Location – Madison, Wisconsin
AmeriCorps engages more than 75,000 Americans in intensive service each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country.
Since the program's founding in 1994, more than 900,000 AmeriCorps members have contributed more than 1.2 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing millions of volunteers for the organizations they serve.
The staff, volunteers, and donors of Habitat for Humanity have a shared goal: to see the Dane County affiliate be a recognized leader, partner, and catalyst for affordable housing solutions that positively impact families, communities, and the environment. We are guided by three fundamental values:
- Building Communities and Families
- Increasing Sustainability
- Building Efficiencies through Partnerships
Through volunteer labor and donations of money and materials, Habitat builds and rehabilitates simple, decent houses with the help of our partner families. Habitat homes are sold to partner families at no profit, financed with affordable, no-interest loans. The homeowner' monthly mortgage payments are used to build more Habitat houses.
The VISTA member will develop, document, and implement plans to increase volunteer, in-kind, and monetary resources in the ReStore by creating volunteer programs, marketing plans, business systems, and donation opportunities. Project objectives include 1) Develop, implement, and document youth and group volunteer recruitment, training, and retention programs for the ReStore 2) Develop, implement, and document sustainable donor outreach strategies that ultimately contribute toward an increase in unrestricted revenue from increased numbers of donations 3) Research and implement best practices for standard ReStore operating policies and procedures.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Problem solving ability
- Excellent communication skills
- Comfortable speaking publicly to sizable groups
- Must be able to work well independently and also as part of a team
- Physically able to work extended periods while sitting at a desk
- Prior experience working with youth and/or youth groups a plus
- Prior experience working with volunteers a plus
- Demonstrated interest in non-profit programming or management
- Commitment to service
This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position. To learn more about AmeriCorps, please visit www.americorps.gov. Habitat Dane AmeriCorps VISTAs commit to 12 months of full-time service and receive the following benefits:
- Living allowance of $11,676
- Segal AmeriCorps Education Award at completion of service ($5,730)
- Student loan forbearance or deferment while in service
- Healthcare benefits while in service
- Childcare assistance (if applicable) while in service
- Worker's compensation
- Food stamp assistance
- In addition Habitat Dane provides a $200 monthly rental stipend to supplement living costs
Learn more about Habitat Dane at www.habitatdane.org.
4207 Monona Drive
Monona, WI, US 53716
Start and end dates:One year term of service, starting late June, late August, or late September
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Full time (30-40 hours/week)
Times of day:Mornings Afternoons
Days of week:Weekdays Weekends
Extra details:Stipend provided