It's a new year, dive into an opportunity to share your passion for STEM with a younger generation – join the EnCorps STEM Teachers Program.
Students need you. STEM achievement and career opportunities are disproportionately limited for youth in under-resourced school districts. The severe shortage of high-quality teachers in these schools leaves low-income and minority students particularly vulnerable.
Join a network of over 600 EnCorps leaders in California making a profound and immediate impact by taking their working knowledge and passing it on to the next generation.
The EnCorps STEM Teachers Program empowers STEM industry experts to become exceptional teachers, tutors, and educators. Heading into our 10th year of public service, we are the only nonprofit in the nation that enables STEM professionals, military veterans, and retirees to explore a career transition to teaching in a highly supported way.
OUR INNOVATIVE MODEL
- Begin immediately working with high need students as a tutor and/or guest teacher
- Receive mentorship from EnCorps staff and a host teacher
- Decide on an EnCorps track of volunteering or full time (paid) teaching
- Receive exam support and credentialing guidance, scholarship opportunities and access to networks and schools for full time teaching employment
- Engage in a robust slate of professional development and a cohort of peers to share ideas, support and best practices
"I want them to know that they are capable of success no matter their background or what anyone else may have told them." -EnCorps Fellow Tyran Richards
HOW TO APPLY
Do your part to address inequalities in education. Don't let zip code determine destiny.
The EnCorps Fellowship is a selective fellowship for current STEM professionals who are interested in exploring their personal role in teaching and education. *You do not need prior experience in education, and you must not currently hold a California single subject credential*
Selection for the 2017 Cohort is underway! Apply online at http://encorps.org/apply.
To be considered for our next round of interviews in Los Angeles, apply by April 5, 2017.
FIND OUT MORE
- Join our next live webinar athttp://encorps.org/join/calendar-of-events/
- Stop by the EnCorps coffee hour (Starbucks: 11705 National Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90064) - join the Los Angeles Program and Recruitment team for coffee on Wednesday, March 29th between 7:00-9:00 am, to discuss EnCorps in an informal setting
- Get in touch with our Los Angeles Program & Recruitment Director: Bethany Orozco (Bethany@encorps.org, 310-293-9220)
This volunteer opportunity can be performed from a remote location.
- Los Angeles, CA, US 90012
- San Fernando Valley, CA, US 91406
- Hawthorne, CA, US 90250
- San Gabriel, CA, US 91776
- Long Beach, CA, US 90806
- Santa Monica, CA, US 90405
Start and end dates:Because volunteering is in schools, EnCorps follows the school year calendar.
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Occasional (weekly or monthly)
Times of day:Mornings Afternoons Evenings
Days of week:Weekdays Weekends
Extra details:Training provided