Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN) has been serving homeless families in Cincinnati for over 25 years and have recently partnered with Churches Active in Northside (CAIN) to host families at thier Grace Place House.
IHN functions differently than a normal shleter. We use faith congregations in the city to house our families for a week at a time. This allows us to offer our families a more comfortable and home like atmosphere during an otherwise traumatic time.
We are very fortunate to have the opprotunity to house our families at Grace Place, but we need new groups and volunteers to help host our families for a week at a time. This would be a great opprotunity for group to give back to the community. Kids are encouraged to volunteer with thier parents as well.
For more information about hosting families at Grace Place please contact Hume Jamison. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Their are two primary roles that you may serve:
Evening/Dinner Host 5pm-9pm
-Set up dinner on kitchen counter buffet style, with plates, napkins, silverware and cups.
-Meet the bus at about 5:30pm
-Wait for the families to come back down from their rooms
-Help moms with plates if they need it.
-Eat with the guests if you wish.
-Help clean up dishes and pack up leftovers. You can either leave them here or take them with you.
-Set up lunch supplies on dining room table, complete with drinks, napkins, sandwich and Kroger bags, and markers
-When all moms have packed their families' lunches, put away lunch supplies.
-Put snacks on the counter
-If dishwasher is nearly full or full, start dishwasher by 8pm.
-play with children. Having an evening activity planned is a great idea, and up to you. We have lots of games and a nice yard. (Please do not start any kids' movies after 7:30pm.)
-No children under 4 should be allowed outside unless their mothers are also outside.
-Encourage kids to help you pick up toys between 8:30 and 9pm. At 8:45, announce that the kids' bedtime is in fifteen minutes.
-Tell kids at 9pm that its time to bed.
Overnight Hosts 9pm – Morning Bus Arrival- There is a separate bedroom that you will sleep in.
- Make sure all kids go to bed at 9pm. Boomerang any kids coming downstairs back upstairs. (use mom's discretion for kids older than 9.)
- Put away snack and drinks
- Clean up and wipe down everything
- Remind moms at 10:30 to have their last cigarettes before 11pm.
- Set alarm at 11pm
- Help moms with anything they need.
- Watch whatever they are watching on TV. It's an easy way to bond.
- Empty dishwasher if no one has, and put any dishes from after dinner snacks into the dishwasher.
- Be sure that you have the phone in your room when you go to bed.
- Sweep and wash any floors that might need it.
- Lay out breakfast items
- Wake moms up an hour before the bus arrives. 5:30 during the week, 6:30 on weekends.
- Take med. bag to the bus when it arrives.
- Clean up breakfast mess and wipe everything down. Check rooms for trash.
- Sweep up after breakfast if necessary.
6037 Cary Ave.
Cincinnati, OH, US 45224
Duration:Less than 3 months
Time commitment:One time, for a few hours
Times of day:Evenings Late nights
Days of week:Weekdays Weekends