AmeriCorps is a national community service program that gives people an opportunity to apply their skills and ideals toward helping others and meeting critical needs in the community. The Lynn AmeriCorps Program is an AmeriCorps Program where members serve in organizations throughout Lynn, MA to help implement programs designed to reduce the school dropout rate among immigrant students.
About United Way:
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and MerrimackValley is advancing the common good in our region by providing help today in ways that strengthen tomorrow. Our work ensures that children are ready to learn when they enter school, stay engaged in learning and graduate able to compete, and are nurtured by families that have the financial stability to support both their basic needs and future success. No other single organization has the scope, expertise and influences to bring together hundreds of human services agencies, government, businesses, private foundations and dedicated volunteers around a common vision of creating maximum impact and achieving long-lasting results.
Fifteen AmeriCorps members will complete a year of service in Lynn, MA, from September 2016 to August 2017. Corps members will be placed in community agencies throughout Lynn to provide direct support to English Language Learning students and/or their families. Activities and engagement may include academic support, tutoring, mentoring, college awareness and preparation, and family support.
Collectively, the work of the Corps members will help to ensure a holistic approach throughout the community in order to reduce the barriers to academic success among immigrant children and their families. Corps members will be supervised by both their host organization and the United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley Program Manager.
HOST SITE NAME:Girls Incorporated of Lynn
About Host Site (Brief description):
Girls Incorporated of Lynn is a nonprofit organization dedicated to inspiring all girls to be Strong, Smart, and Bold®.For sixty-nine years, Girls Incorporated of Lynn has responded to the changing needs of girls and their families by providing essential resources and challenging programs to disadvantaged, low-income girls. Since its founding in 1942, Girls Inc. of Lynn has been widely recognized and respected for the powerful and positive impact it has had on generations of girls and women. Our programs are delivered in a safe and supportive girl-focused environment where all girls can be themselves and are empowered to achieve their personal best.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION of POSITION:
TheLynn AmeriCorps member – middle school will be responsible for engaging English language learner members by assisting with recruitment and the enrollment process. The AmeriCorps member will provide academic support to the ELL members of the middle school program, serve as mentor to four days week, act liaison between non- English speaking parents and the program.The AmeriCorps member will assist with coordination and facilitation of the middle school program's family engagement component which includes writing and distributing a monthly bilingual newsletter, updating social media and planning and implementation on bi-monthly family nights.
AmeriCorps Service Requirements:
- § Complete a minimum of 1700 hours of documented service over the course of one year
- § Satisfactorily complete host site service project
- § Attend all Corps wide training and work sessions
- § Maintain a service Portfolio
- § Complete all required AmeriCorps documentation and reporting
- § Assist with member recruitment and enrollment
- § Build relationships with ELL guidance counselors and ELL teachers at Lynn middle schools
- § Provide family support to ELL girls and their families, including engaging parents in their daughter's academic needs.
- § Work collaboratively with Girls Inc. staff to provide a safe, secure, pro-girl environment
- § Provide academic support in the form of homework help and tutoring
- § Mentor a four middle school members four days a week
- § Assist with the coordination and implementation of the family engagement component of the program
- § Serve as a liaison between ELL/ESL, non-English speaking parents and the program
- § Serve as liaison between the ESL members and the program including facilitate relationship building between the ESL members and the other girls and staff; ensure that ESL members are aware of program opportunities and services.
Non -Essential Responsibilities
Qualifications of Ideal Candidate
- §Multi-lingual preferable: English & Spanish, Khmer, Portuguese,Haitian Creole
- § Familiarity with community of Lynn and the Lynn Public Schools
- · Experience working with youth, preferably girls and/or urban youth ages 12-15 an informal educational and/or recreational setting
- § Enthusiasm and excitement for working with teen girls
- · Demonstrated ability to be professional, creative, innovative and flexible
- · Team building skills are a plus
- § Strong written and oral communication skills
- § Technology proficient
- § High School or GED accepted; BA/BS strongly preferred
- § Experience with and/or commitment to youth development
- § Interest in nonprofit organizations and their development
- § Excellent organization and communication skills
- § The ability to work independently and as part of a team
- § Proven leadership and project management abilities
- § A passion for national and community service
- § The desire to work with diverse people, organizations and communities
- § Positive attitude, flexibility and adaptability
- §Must be a US Citizen or Permanent US Resident
- § $12,635 taxable living allowance will be made in bi-weekly installments
- § Fully paid health insurance
- § Training and networking opportunities among a core groups of Corps members and other non profit professionals
- § Access to resources available at United Way of Massachusetts Bay
- § $5,550.00 Education Award upon completion of service
To Apply or For More information:
Lena Crowley, Director of Middle School Programs
781-592-9744 x 230 firstname.lastname@example.org
Girls Incorporated of Lynn50 High Street Lynn MA 01902
50 High Street
Lynn, MA, US 01901
Start and end dates:August 2016- August 2017
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Full time (30-40 hours/week)
Times of day:Mornings Afternoons Evenings
Days of week:Weekdays
Extra details:Stipend provided