Based in Nablus in the West Bank, this wonderful program provides development and improvement programs to communities living with violence and occupation, offering children, youth, and adult's safe spaces to learn, thrive and grow. Volunteer projects are mainly held within one of the several prominent refugee camps in the region, but part of the work may also be undertaken in surrounding villages or other parts of the city.
There are many ways that volunteers can participate in this community development program: through arts and crafts, sharing musical or artistic talents, teaching computer skills, or designing and running specialized workshops such as micro-finance, public health/health screening, sports programs, computer-skills, circus/acrobatics/gymnastics training, fundraising and awareness projects, etc. Volunteers can also create activities around themes like human rights that are important for the development of the children.
Volunteers must be able to commit to at least two weeks to this wonderful project, must also be at least 18 years of age. In addition to these requirements, we generally look for volunteers who:
- are self-starters, with initiative and new ideas
- are responsible and able to work independently
- have some experience working with children, and ideas about how best to share their knowledge with students
- are willing to respect the local culture, even if it means making adjustments or sacrifices
- will be able to adapt to the challenges of a conflict environment
- have a genuine desire to contribute their time and skills
- want to make a difference in the lives of the children and youth living within the confines of a refugee camp
Volunteer accommodation is provided in a beautiful large historic Nablus home, across the street from the main project office and English Center, which is also home to our partners Education Program (listed below). Male and female volunteers are housed on separate floors, as per local custom. Depending on the volume of volunteers, you may share a room with up to two others.
The apartment includes kitchen facilities, a washing machine, wi-fi Internet, and a television/DVD player. Volunteers are also currently preparing a beautiful garden as a place to sit, relax and drink fresh lemonade on those hot summer afternoons in Palestine. Food is NOT included in this program, and volunteers will be responsible for buying/preparing their own meals, or can venture out to enjoy the local cuisine.
Please note that this program is available all year long except for during the holy month of Ramadan (June 6th and July 9th 2016).
For a list of fees for this program click here.
Areas of focus:
- Nablus, West Bank, Palestine
Duration:3 months or longer
Extra details:Fee required
International volunteer options:International volunteers welcome