Are you interested in research and empowering the youth and breaking the cycle of depence? Sustainable Bolivia is a nonprofit organization that facilitates volunteer and internship placements with over 35 partner NGOs located in Cochabamba, Bolivia.
Beyond connecting volunteers with local organizations where they can put theory and experience into practice, Sustainable Bolivia takes care to provide a community environment to all program participants through their volunteer housing network and events. Check out our current listings, and join our sustainable community and movement here in Cochabamba.
The following internship position is aimed at individuals interested in the development sector and supporting youth in transition from state care in Cochabamba.
TIA needs researchers to assist in designing, developing and implementing a local and/or national research project to look into the current situation for young care leavers in Bolivia.
Detailed project description
The ValenTIA (meaning 'courage' in Spanish) Transition Project is TIA's main development project.
We take a holistic approach to breaking the cycle of dependence by empowering young people in state care with essential life skills and access to opportunities so that they can become thriving members in their communities. There are two phases to the program:
Phase I – Fundamental Skills
Skill building preparatory workshops whilst the young people are still in state care, from the age of 14-17, to empower them with the knowledge and skills necessary to transition into indpenedence at the age of 18.
Phase II – New Beginnings
The ValenTIA Transition Centre is a support centre for these young adults once the support they receive from state care ceases when they turn 18.
We work with these young people to enable them to create brighter futures for themselves by focusing on: opening up further study opportunities; allowing them to enter and thrive in a work environment; and building their self-esteem, and confidence to take responsibility of their own life direction.
TIA needs researchers to assist in designing, developing and implementing a local and/or national research project to look into the current situation for young care leavers in Bolivia. The research will be using participatory methods, focusing on a mixture of qualitative and quantitative data collection techniques, and preferably will also implement peer-to-peer research methods. The researcher/s will work directly with the Project Coordinator and the Director of TIA.
- Design, develop and implement a research project in collaboration with a research team
- Conduct interviews, surveys, focus groups, and other methods of data compilation necessary
- Document the entire process and compile a research paper with the findings
- Draw on existing research and academic papers to inform the research
- Other duties as assigned
Required skills or knowledge
- Highly organised and able to manage administrative systems
- Proactive, motivated and able to self-direct
- Flexibility, adaptability, and willingness to learn in a new cultural envinronment
- Excellent writen English (and also Spanish preferably)
- Strong microsoft office and general computer skills
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge of participatory qualitative and quantitative research methods (inerviewing, focus groups, surveg, focus groups, surveys etc)
Relevant experience required
- Some experience working in community development, the non profit sector
- Experience in research projects, preferrably in the community development sector
- Experience conducting research in unfamiliar cultural settings (desirable but not compulsory)
- Experiencia alguna trabajando en desarrollo comunitario o el sector de ONGs
- Experiencia en investigaciones, preferible en el sector de desarrollo comunitario
- Experiencia en conducir investigaciones en un entorno cultural desconocido (deseable pero no obligatorio)
Minimum of 15 hours per week
Spanish (or other languages) level required
Spanish – Intermediate or advanced
English – Advanced
Julio Arauco Prado 230
Cochabamba, Departamento de Cochabamba, Bolivia
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:A lot (10+ hours/week)
Highly organised and able to manage administrative systems , Proactive motivated and able to self-direct , Flexibility adaptability and willingness to learn in a new cultural envinronment , Excellent writen English (and also Spanish preferably) , Strong microsoft office and general computer skills , Highly developed written and oral communication skills , Knowledge of participatory qualitative and quantitative research methods (inerviewing focus groups , surveys etc)
International volunteer options:International volunteers welcome