The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum is seeking volunteers to support teaching artists in New York City public school classrooms where the Learning Through Art (LTA) program is implemented. LTA Volunteers should be enthusiastic about arts education/integration and able to make a commitment to assist a teaching artist one day each week for the duration of the 20-week residency.
LTA places teaching artists in New York City public school classrooms, where they collaborate with teachers to create process-oriented art projects that examine ideas and themes related to the school curriculum. In these 20-week residencies, teaching artists introduce art techniques and concepts and encourage students to view, analyze, and discuss works of art.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods, through exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim network that began in the 1970s when the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, was joined by the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice, has since expanded to include the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao (opened 1997) and the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi (currently in development). Looking to the future, the Guggenheim Foundation continues to forge international collaborations that take contemporary art, architecture, and design beyond the walls of the museum. More information about the foundation can be found at guggenheim.org.
Responsibilities of a LTA Volunteer include:
- Distribute all art materials to students as directed by teaching artist. Help to maintain an organized classroom throughout each session and manage clean-up and storage of materials.
- Photograph (when advised by teaching artist) students at work in the classroom. Photograph one individual work for each student in February/March to be included in the catalog and exhibition slide show.
- Assisting the teaching artist in hanging in-school exhibitions and other displays of student artwork throughout the year
- As advised by teaching artist, work with students one-on-one and in small groups as needed.
- Helping with LTA events as needed, including family days at the Guggenheim Museum
This is a volunteer position. Volunteers receive invitations to Guggenheim programs, free admission to museums across the country, discounts at the Guggenheim restaurants and store and the opportunity to learn about art education, museum education and modern and contemporary art.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email email@example.com. Volunteer commitment is once weekly from approximately mid-October through early May.
Areas of focus:
1071 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY, US 10128
Start and end dates:mid-October through early May
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Occasional (weekly or monthly)
Times of day:Mornings Afternoons
Days of week:Weekdays