Interested in joining the Board of a nonprofit that seeks to make a difference in the way our society views gender?
Committed to promoting equal opportunities for all individuals regardless of their gender, gender expression and/or gender identity?
An advocate, a financial expert, a social worker, an organizer, a lawyer, a nonprofit consultant, a supporter of civil rights? OR otherwise someone who is passionate about advancing the rights of women, members of the LGBTQ community and others impacted by harmful gender-based discrimination?
If so, we invite you to apply for Board Membership with the Gender Equality Law Center.
WHO WE ARE
The Gender Equality Law Center, Inc. ("GELC") is a nonprofit law and advocacy center. Our mission is to advance laws and policies that will promote gender equality in all spheres of public and private life. We litigate strategic cases, work on law reform projects and engage in a wide variety of public advocacy efforts and training projects related to gender, gender identity and gender expression.
We are a relatively new organization (18 months old) that until now has been governed by a "start up Board" charged with guiding, advising and overseeing the leadership of the Organization. In our second year, we seek to expand the Board both in terms of number of directors as well as member responsibilities, particularly with regard to development.
An Illustration of Our Recent Work:
- Advocating for equal pay for equal work
- Fighting Sexual Harassment in the workplace
- Litigating Pregnancy Discrimination cases
- Vindicating the rights of members of the LGBTQ community
- Litigating cases to protect workplace consequences of intimate partner violence
- Supporting bills for New York's Anti-Caregiver Discrimination and Paid Family Leave
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are seeking several unique, deeply committed individuals that want to be part of building this Organization. This is a volunteer position with a variety of opportunities to make a difference. The ideal candidate is a social justice ally who believes in the mission of the Organization and wants to help take GELC to the next level.
Essential Board Member Requirements:
- Raise awareness and funds for the organization.
- Be committed to our mission and promote our goals through a variety of personal and organizational efforts.
- Take on the position as a serious endeavor (part-time), investing your energy and enthusiasm.
- Attend Board Meetings held every other month (in the evening). In person is preferred, but a virtual appearance is fine.
- Invest in networking with other community members, friends, organizations and professional groups to advance the goals of GELC.
- Support the Organization by spearheading, facilitating or engaging with one or more specific projects per year.
- Pledge at the beginning of each fiscal year to make a personally generous contribution to GELC. Include GELC in one of your top three charities to which you donate on an annual basis.
- Pledge to undertake fundraising or other development activities to raise money for the Organization. Every Board member will be expected to use best efforts to meet an achievable target for fundraising.
WHAT THE POSITION OFFERS YOU
- Expand your network. As a result of raising awareness and funds for the organization, you will have endless opportunities to connect with supporters from various places and with diverse backgrounds.
- Raise your profile in your organization and profession. Adopt new skills, ideas, and opportunities for your full-time work.
- Contribute to meaningful work in your community. Make connections to others in your community and be a voice for the issues you care about.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in applying for a position on the board, please send the following to Allegra Fishel at email@example.com :
- Letter describing your interest in, and commitment to, advancing the fight for gender equality. Please include any specific skills or experience you offer (advocate, financial expert, organizer, lawyer, nonprofit consultant, etc.), whether you sit on any other organizations' boards and anything else which you believe makes you an exceptional candidate for Board Membership.
This volunteer opportunity can be performed from a remote location.
540 President Street
Brookyn, NY, US 11215
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Occasional (weekly or monthly)
Times of day:Evenings