Volunteer opportunity posted by: Ya'axché Conservation Trust
Posted on: January 3, 2013
Development Officer Volunteer with Ya'axché Conservation Trust
Ya'axché Conservation Trust is an award-winning Belizean organization, which aims to maintain healthy forests, rivers and reefs for the benefit of all. Through protected area management, advocacy, and working hand in hand with communities Ya'axché strives to develop capacity for the wise use of land and natural resources in and around the Maya Golden Landscape in Toledo.
The Maya Golden Landscape is the focal area of our work and is the last remaining contiguous broadleaf forest between the Maya Mountains and the Caribbean Sea. Within this region Ya'axché manages two protected areas, the Golden Stream Corridor Preserve (15,000 acres) and the Bladen Nature Reserve (100,000 acres), and encourages the wise use of natural resources by promoting best agricultural practices and land-use planning at local and national levels.
For more information check out our website: www.yaaxche.org
Volunteering at Ya'axché means being a full-time member of the team. International volunteers bring valuable expertise and are expected to be proactive and motivated about their work. In return, volunteers have the opportunity to experience truly pristine nature, while building their careers. Ya'axché's most recent volunteer alumni have gone on to working in conservation with organizations such as FFI-Nicaragua, Dutch Caribbean Nature Alliance (Bonaire), and Round River Conservation Studies (Botswana).
The Development Officer Volunteer is expected to work alongside the development team to strengthen fundraising for Ya'axché's programs according to Ya'axché's Fundraising Strategy.The major duties will include:
- Designing project concepts and proposals, ensuring that proposal development is in line with Ya'axché's strategic plan, balanced across programs, and addresses identified priorities. Proposal development may include field work, either in the form of accompanying the rangers or extension officers to understand their work, or in the form of meetings with stakeholders.
- Researching prospective funding opportunities
- Maintaining relationships with donors, remotely and in person in-country
Duration of placement: Minimum 6 months
Preferred starting date: As soon as possible
- Bachelor's Degree and 2 years of work experience
- Excellent written and spoken English is essential (fluency)
- Excellent organizational and inter-personal skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong interest in environmental science and conservation
- Experience working with communities in developing countries or strong cultural sensitivity
- Experience with grant-writing is preferred but not required
Benefits of Volunteering with Ya'axché
- Free, shared housing at Golden Stream Corridor Preserve field station
- Opportunity to work closely with dynamic, multi-cultural staff
- Appreciation and reference for your dedication and hard work
- Adventure in a country with pristine ecosystems, world-class snorkeling and SCUBA
- In-depth, interactive cultural experience unattainable by tourists
Volunteer Personal Expenses There are no program fees charged for this experience, but the volunteer is expected to arrange and pay for:
- Transportation to Punta Gorda, Belize, including airfare.
- Food, personal expenses, in-country travel, rent (if living in Punta Gorda instead of the field station)
- Passport, visa
To apply, please email Christina Garcia a letter of motivation, CV, a writing sample, and 2 contacts for reference.
Please enter "Development Officer Volunteer" in the email subject line.