If you enjoy interacting with people and supporting them along their healthcare journey - this is the volunteer opportunity for you. Many volunteer opportunities available, a sampling of those is listed below. Volunteer a few hours a week or a couple hours a month, flexible scheduling is available. No experience or medical background necessary; training is provided at no cost and available at different dates and locations.
- Patient & Family Support -Volunteers can choose to visit patients in their homes, assisted living or nursing home facilities or in-patient care centers.
- Bereavement Volunteer Program – Be a supportive presence to those who have lost a loved one by making bereavement support phone calls or in person visits as directed by bereavement staff. Can be done from a volunteer's home.
- Telephone Support – Communicate with patients and families to provide reassurance, learn of additional needs and be a listening ear. Daytime and evening opportunities available.
- Children's Community Program Volunteer – Interact with pediatric patients and/or their siblings to offer parents some respite, provide tutoring, deliver food or supplies to families, and assist during special events such as Family Fun Night.
- Empath Home Health Volunteer –Visit home health patients for companionship, errands, caregiver respite, and transportation to appointments.
- Community Counseling – Assist and participate in retreats and support groups for children and adults and assisting the counselors with set-up and special activities.
- Palliative Arts– Patient and Family Support volunteers are able to comfort patients by providing holistic services in one of the following modalities:
- Pet Visits – The use of pets to provide comfort, peace and well-being.
- Aromatherapy – The use of essential oils to promote health of the body, mind and spirit.
- Reiki – The use of energy therapy techniques to promote relaxation and reduce suffering caused by anxiety/agitation and to create a sense of peacefulness.
- Licensed Massage Therapy – The use of "hands on" techniques delivered by a Licensed Massage Therapist to promote relaxation and reduce pain.
- Music – The use of music as a tool, gift or opportunity to bring peace and comfort.
- Program of All-Inclusive Care (PACE) – PACE Home Volunteers provide participants with companionship, transportation for shopping or non-medical appointments, caregiver respite, errand running, and escort them to medical appointments (through PACE provided transportation).
- Veterans Serving Veterans – As a Veteran Serving Veteran Volunteer, you will have the honor of extending a warm hand of friendship to military veterans with serious illness and those nearing the end of life. Visit military veteran patients, take part in special pinning ceremonies for veterans, present appreciation certificates, assist in replacing lost medals, share specialty holiday events, provide transportation, provide telephone support, and arrange for veterans to share life stories through the Veterans History Project.
Skills - Listening skills and compassion to help others necessary. Volunteers paired with assignments that match their skills, interests, availability and location.
5771 Roosevelt Blvd
Clearwater, FL, US 33760
2675 Tampa Road
Palm Harbor, FL, US 34684
3050 1st Ave S
Saint Petersburg, FL, US 33713
Start and end dates:No
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Occasional (weekly or monthly)
Times of day:Mornings Afternoons Evenings Late nights
Days of week:Weekdays Weekends
Extra details:Training provided