Volunteer Opportunity posted by: Chicago Fringe Festival
Posted on: November 14, 2013
The Chicago Fringe Festival is seeking a Marketing Director to oversee and execute a crucial part of our organization. The Marketing Director will gain tangible experience in regards to budgeting, strategic planning, day-to-day marketing execution, and working with the executive staff of Fringe. This is currently a part-time volunteer position that pays a small annual stipend, according to budget allowances.
• Create and distribute CFF's communications:
o Craft and send mass communications to external partners including sponsors, patrons and Fringe participants
• Includes e-mail blasts, invitations, reminders, and press releases regarding ongoing Fringe events and deadline
o Work closely with Events Director, Executive Director, Development Director, and any other necessary staff to publicize CFF's events and campaigns year-round
o Maintain weekly blog postings about Chicago Fringe through the Fringe blog site
o Maintain weekly dynamic postings on social media, primarily Facebook & Twitter
o Update copy on website
o Publicize Fringe events
• Manage external advertising for Festival
o Identify and execute effective print and online advertising campaign while remaining within limited budget
o Identify and execute all free marketing resources
o Pitch Fringe stories to press
o Work with third party PR organizations to coordinate the Fringe message
• Maintain and promote annual theme for the Festival
o Develop annual Fringe theme with Executive Team
o Incorporate theme into all aspects of Fringe communications
o Work with third-party PR organizations to distribute theme, increase awareness of the contest and drive participation.
• Lead Marketing at the live Festival
o Form and manage Street Team, as they distribute promotional materials around Jefferson Park and the city in advance of the Festival
o Attend Festival (first two weekends in September), live blog, and promote attendance via online channels.
o When necessary, assist with other aspects of marketing and promotion at the Festival.
• Experience with CRM systems and marketing email software (Constant Contact, etc.)
• Excellent copy-writing abilities
• Motivation to be a self-starter and communicate in a timely manner with other volunteer staff and outside organizations and personnel.
• Familiarity with the Fringe Festival model and tone
• Ability to work well with others and have fun!
This position requires approximately 5-10 hours per week, and considerably more during the Festival (all staff works to make the Fest possible in the first two weeks of September). Monthly meetings are mandatory, and staff members are asked to sign an agreement of understanding. Yes, it's a lot to volunteer, but we are a dedicated bunch! Many of our volunteers have gone on to full-time positions in theatre administration.
Send your cover letter and resume to Laura Scruggs at email@example.com.