The Ethiopian Education Foundation (EEF)
The Ethiopian Education Foundation (EEF) takes child sponsorship to a different level.
Each year we grant secondary school scholarships (grades 9-12) to extremely bright yet severely underprivileged children from all over Ethiopia.
Over ten years our success rate has been phenomenal with all our high school graduates (most being former street children) gaining entry to university. Over 30% go onto study Medicine with some gaining prestigious scholarships overseas to the likes of New York University.
The student scholarship includes four years of fully paid tuition at one of Ethiopia's leading private schools, school uniforms, school materials and full boarding at our student house, where accommodation is shared with one other student. The facilities of our house include computer room with internet access, library and recreational as well educational facilities. We also provide continual 1-2-1 mentoring and very regular group discussion seminars and motivational programmes. This structure gives our students a sense of protection / security and encourages an environment where they can excel in their studies.
On top of this, each student is mentored throughout the 4 year programme by matching them with motivated, hand-picked individual sponsors.
EEF's work transforms the lives and future of these students. Ultimately the future of Ethiopia as whole will be impacted. EEF has already produced 9 fully qualified Medical Doctors and 15 Engineers from its first batch of scholarship students who entered the programme in 2004. This is just the beginning!
THE ROLE – Boys Hostel Manager
EEF is looking for a MANAGER in the true meaning of the word. The focus of the role is managing the EEF Programme and its two properties (hostels).
The Programme Manager is to focus on budget management as well as to provide a structured and disciplined environment for students who have often come from a totally unstructured life with limited boundaries. The hostel environment is to act as an example to students and the Programme Manager is to be a role model.
The smooth running of the programme and the hostels can influence huge positive change in the lives of EEF's students and create an environment that encourages them to excel in their studies, to gain wider life skills and ultimately see them all enter university and go on to become leaders in Ethiopia's future. In detail the role involves both key issues and secondary issues
- Budget management – EEF operates on a tight budget and as such this is a key factor of the role. Weekly financial reporting to London required.
- Communications – A detailed weekly report to London on all activities together with quarterly individual reports on student's development.
- Discipline – It is essential there is a strict regime of fair discipline otherwise the programme cannot work. There must be clear rules and regulations that must be followed.
- Liaison with external parties – Represent EEF with external agencies in particular our partner school
- Staff management - There is girls hostel manager (from Europe) and two local cooks and general maintenance people
Acting as "House Parent" for our students (aged 12 – 18) ensuring their day to day wellbeing, and attendance at school.
- Fostering a strong study culture among the students
- Managing and co-ordinating hostel maintenance
- To get involved in the annual scholar selection process
We are seeking a person (we require the boys manager to be male) 25 years of age or above. A self-sufficient university graduate, highly organised, completely fluent in English, with strong written, communication, interpersonal and IT skills. A passion for education is a key as is the desire to implement our vision to make a real difference. Previous experience with teenagers would be an advantage as discipline is of utmost importance to the role.
Interviews will be held in London or by SKYPE for exceptional candidates. EFF cannot cover travel costs related to the interview. Start date is around 15 June 2016.
EEF is a completely non-religious organisation.
Interviews will be held in the UK or via Skype.
Interviews will commence as soon as we receive applications from suitable candidates. We therefore strongly advise to apply as soon as possible.
- Minimum of 12 months contract
- Private accommodation with en-suite private facilities at the Hostel. Live-in position with all meals included.
- One return flight to Europe included (or equivalent).
- Small monthly expense allowance.
Addis Ababa, Ādīs Ābeba Āstedader, Ethiopia
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Full time (30-40 hours/week)
Times of day:Mornings Afternoons Evenings Late nights
Days of week:Weekdays Weekends
Extra details:Stipend provided
International volunteer options:International volunteers welcome