Volunteer opportunity posted by: HealthRIGHT 360, the best of Walden House and Haight Ashbury Free Clinics
Posted on: December 31, 2012
We're looking for a superstar intern to join our team! This is not a boring paper-pushing position, you'll be working directly with our clients, community partners and staff to help connect adults to affordable housing programs in San Francisco.
HealthRIGHT 360 has been providing medical and behavioral health services to San Francisco's neediest folks for over 40 years. Our department, The Walden House Resource Center, is located at 15th and Mission streets. We provide housing, employment and education services to clients who need some support as they try to change their lives. Our team is a group of hard-working do-gooders who take a partnership-approach to working with clients and always maintain a sense of humor.
We're committed to providing you with a high quality experience that will add some strong components to your resume. We'll be sure to train you in the beginning and offer lots of coaching and support along the way.
We're looking for someone who is enthusiastic about providing direct service to homeless and low-income adults in San Francisco. This is a true non-profit setting which means that sometimes we'll ask you to help move a table or make photocopies, but ultimately the amount of responsibility that you take on is limited only by your abilities and interests. A willingness to learn and excellent attention to detail are essential, as is a non-judgmental attitude when working with clients.
People who are impatient, unwilling to take constructive criticism, think that certain tasks are not worth their time, or are prone to extreme tardiness and frequent last-minute cancellations won't fit well here.
Our work spans a lot of different fields (mental health, substance abuse, social justice, sociology, nonprofit and education to name a few) so we're open to all types of candidates as long as you can tell us why you would be an excellent fit for our team. We're thinking that this position is ideally suited for a college or graduate student who is looking to get some real-world experience but we're open to all applicants as long as you're over 18.
KEY COMPONENTS TO THE POSITION
- Work directly with clients to fill out affordable housing applications
- Update lists of affordable housing options in the Bay Area, which includes using the Internet, email and Microsoft Excel and Word
- Call and visit housing programs to pick up applications or initiate connections/partnerships
- And lots more!
Please send a resume and responses to the questions below to firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know why you're interested in the position and why you'd be an excellent fit. We look forward to hearing from you.
1. Are you available to volunteer Fridays from 9am-12:00pm for 3-4 months?
2. What's your phone number and when's the best time to call you?
3. Why are you interested in this position?
4. What are some of the qualities you possess that would help you do this volunteer job?
5. Tell us about any relevant experience you've had such as hiring/management, working with disadvantaged populations, etc…What is your interest in working with our population?