Are you passionate about helping families function positively and want to make a difference? Journeys Within Our Community (JWOC) is seeking a Positive Parenting Advisor (Volunteer) in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
JWOC is a US registered nonprofit organization based in Siem Reap, Cambodia with an anuual revenue of around $150,000.Its mission is to run projects that inspire ongoing social change by reducing poverty levels, increasing educational and economic opportunities and empowering recipients and supporters. Its programs are Community Support, Scholarships and Free Classes. JWOC is unique in its approach to providing these programs as its university scholarship students are engaged in program implementation on a volunteer basis.
The volunteer will work closely with the Community Support Program Manager and scholarship students to design and deliver workshops related to Positive Parenting in local villages. This will involve reviewing findings from previous surveys and adapting the survey as necessary. The volunteer will help the team to find more ways to attract the target populace to the workshops and assist in creating engaging and innovative workshops to facilitate effective dialogue between participants.
We are looking for someone with related experience who is available to volunteer at JWOC from 1 week to 3 months.The working week can be flexible from 1 day a week to 5 days a week depending on the volunteer's availability. Some of the different types of activities involved would include:
- Assist Community Support to create effective survey materials and provide interview preparation and guidance for meeting with local villagers
- Analyse data from surveys to create clear narratives about needs and issues
- Apply knowledge of positive parenting models to development of engaging workshops
- Explore different ways of collecting feedback from villagers about the effectiveness of workshops and other interventions
- Bachelor's degree (relevant field preferred such as Social Work and Counseling, Psychology, Education, etc.);
- Commitment to JWOC's mission and vision;
- Proven ability to build, maintain and strengthen relationships;
- Teaching or facilitation experience desirable;
- Relevant experience in social work, family planning or counselling, or combination of education and experience;
- Excellent communication, presentation, writing and organizational and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent judgment and ability to coach students through difficult situations;
- Understanding of the context and situation of Cambodia;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and proven ability to work in a multi-cultural setting and in teams with diversity of background and skills;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
What you can expect from JWOC
- Pre-trip support and fund-raising support
- Help and advice with accommodation and settling into Siem Reap
- An introduction to JWOC and its staff and local volunteers
- A supportive working environment and on-going support from the Education and Volunteer Manager, the Community Support Manager and everyone at JWOC.
Terms and conditions
The volunteer is responsible for all costs associated with traveling to Siem Reap, in addition to health insurance. Reference and background checks will be completed before being offered a volunteer placement. The volunteer will sign an agreement to adhere to JWOC's child protection, dress code, green and volunteer policies. Although we do not provide accommodation we can offer advice on reasonably priced accommodation and costs of living in Siem Reap. We can also help with pre-trip fund-raising activities. For more information visit –
Siem Reap, Siem Reap, Cambodia
Duration:Less than 3 months
Time commitment:Occasional (weekly or monthly)
Times of day:Mornings Afternoons
Days of week:Weekdays Weekends
International volunteer options:International volunteers welcome