Volunteer Opportunity posted by: Generation Hope
Posted on: September 4, 2013
In 2010, a former teen mother began a nonprofit organization solely focused on reducing poverty one family at a time by helping teen parents earn their college degrees. Generation Hope was born from the belief that education is the best promise for a stable future. Three years later, Generation Hope has provided more than $40,000 in tuition support to teen parents across the DC metro area who are pursuing two and four-year degrees as well as one-on-one mentoring. Each year, we have doubled the number of Scholars in our program, resulting in 22 for the current year, and we provide college-readiness workshops to more than 100 high school teen parents across the region in schools, churches, and local agencies.
Generation Hope is the only community-based nonprofit organization solely focused on college completion for teen parents in the D.C. area and is a rarity across the United States. In fact, Generation Hope has been recognized byThe Washington Post,"NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams,"and"The Steve Harvey Show"for its innovative work.
We are looking for a dynamic and passionate board member to focus on our fundraising efforts. Will you join us?
REPORTS TO: Board President
PURPOSE: The Board of Directors of Generation Hope
Join the leadership of Generation Hope. The Board of Directors in the governing body of the organization and works with the staff to set priorities for each fiscal year, approves the annual budget and helps meet our fundraising goals for the year. The Board acts on behalf of the public to ensure that the proper governance and activities of the organization are being carried out.
PRINICPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
General Board Member
1. Regularly attends board meetings and important related meetings.
2. Makes serious commitment to participate actively in committee work.
3. Volunteers for and willingly accepts assignments and completes them thoroughly and on time.
4. Stays informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
5. Gets to know other committee members and builds a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
6. Is an active participant in the committee's annual evaluation and planning efforts.
7. Participates in fundraising for the organization.
1. Is a member of the Board
2. Helps to ensure that the organization is employing best practices in fundraising to support our vital mission
3. Assists with fundraising matters of the organization
4. Works with CEO to create fundraising plan and to ensure it is being executed
5. May assist with grantwriting
6. Is involved with two major fundraising efforts - the Gala and the Walk
Have experience in nonprofit fundraising either professional or personally
Promote the mission of Generation hope in your personal and professional life
Represent Generation Hope to your networks
Commit at least one full term (two years) to the Board of Directors
Actively recruit potential board members
Play a significant role in fundraising
Attend at least 75% of board meetings (three meetings per year in September, March, and June)
Play an active role in one standing committee (as a fundraiser, this would be the Finance/Fundraising Committee)
Make a minimal annual contribution to Generation Hope in the amount of $1,000 or fundraise that amount
Please send your resume to Generation Hope Founder & CEO, Nicole Lynn Lewis, at email@example.com with the subject "Board of Directors Position."
Your resume will be reviewed, and you will be contacted within 7 days to discuss next steps.