It is widely known that exercise leads to a healthier heart, stronger bones and increased flexibility. For seniors, exercise is even more impactful. Results include slower mental decline; delay or prevention of disease; improved psychological well-being; and increased life expectancy.
Help make a difference in the health of New York City's senior population by becoming a volunteer in the STAY WELL exercise program. As a volunteer, you will lead exercise classes at a local senior center using STAY WELL's comprehensive curriculum. Classes enhance balance, cardiovascular health and build muscle strength.
If you are a dependable, punctual and motivating person who also enjoys exercise, this is an opportunity to do something good for yourself and your community. Since training is provided, prior fitness training experience is not necessary.
UPDATE- The STAY WELL program is currently only recruiting for volunteers to serve in Co-op City, Bronx. If you are interested in serving in this area, we invite you to complete a Volunteer Interest Form and reserve a seat in an upcoming Volunteer Information Session.
- Lead a weekly exercise class at a local senior center using STAY WELL's comprehensive curriculum
- Uphold the values of the STAY WELL Program
- Demonstrate strong leadership and motivational skills
- Dependability and punctuality
- Possess good interpersonal skills
- Ability to build rapport in a small group setting
- Ability to demonstrate an approach to exercise that is both enthusiastic and encouraging
- Ability to work with participants possessing various levels of fitness
- Attend a DFTA Volunteer Information Session
- Ability to speak languages other than English desired, but not required. Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin and Russian preferred
- Having faith in participants' ability to make lifestyle changes is a plus
- Must participate in a multi-session training
- After training, volunteers will have to demonstrate knowledge of STAY WELL and an ability to work with groups while conducting a class
- Volunteers serve flexible days Monday-Friday, and flexible hours between 9:00am-Noon
- Sessions range from 30-60 minutes depending on the group's abilities
- Being available to serve multiple times a week is highly desirable
- On average, volunteers serve 3-4 hours a month
- Minimum one year commitment strongly requested
2 Lafayette Street
New York, NY, US 10007
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Occasional (weekly or monthly)
Times of day:Mornings
Days of week:Weekdays
Extra details:Training provided