The Young Professionals is a program of the United Nations Association of the USA's Southern NY State Division (UNA-SNY YP). A program of the United Nations Foundation, UNA-USA is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to building understanding of and support for the ideals and work of the UN among the American people. Its education, policy and advocacy programs emphasize the importance of cooperation among nations and the need for American leadership at the UN. Through discussions, partnerships, and action-oriented initiatives, UNA-SNY YP offers its members a platform for education, advocacy, professional development in international affairs, and the opportunity to volunteer in international service. The group consists of diverse young professionals from the fields of business, law, public service, healthcare and the media. Since its establishment in 2004, UNA-SNY YP has signed up over 500 members from the NYC metropolitan area and has an outreach to 4000+ young professionals. For more information, visit http://www.unasouthernny.org/young-professionals.
Benefits of serving as a Committee Director and Board Member
There are numerous benefits to serving on the UNA-SNY YP Board, including:
- Educate young professionals in the NYC metropolitan area about the vital work of the UN
- Spearhead events and programs that are aligned with the organizations endeavors
- Strengthen your professional network
- Build your leadership skills
- Develop strong relationships with members from leading organizations in international affairs
- Develop relationships with key figures from the United Nations
- Exercise your creative side by planning innovative events
- Establish yourself outside of your current work place and interact with likeminded individuals
- Get connected to a global network.
Responsibilities and Time Commitment:
1. The UNA-SNY YP board meets monthly to plan and report on activities for about 1-2 hours on a weekday evening (starting at 7 p.m. or 7:30 p.m.). Meetings are conducted in-person every month.
2. Committee Directors are typically expected to spearhead two (2) events per calendar year for the YP audience. In this way, event planning is spearheaded by the Committee Director who is supported by the committee members. The Committee Director(s) serve as UNA-SNY YP Board members.
3. Board members are expected to participate, as appropriate, in discussions/decision-making process that takes place by e-mail in between monthly Board meetings.
4. Board Members are expected to attend at least half of the YP events produced by fellow colleagues.
Description and Responsibilities - Treasurer
Manage all UNA-SNY YP funds and keep accurate financial records.
- Review Event and Budget proposals submitted by Committee Directors and coordinate with UNA-SNY Treasurer on cash
- advances and check writing.
- Collaborate with Committee Directors to complete detailed financial report after each event.
- Liaise with Chairs and Treasurers of other YPs throughout UNA-SNY.
- Maintain receipt record and deposit all YP funds into the UNA-SNY State Division account within one week of receipt of
- such funds.
- Update the UNA-SNY YP Profits & Loss excel worksheet and brief the Board at monthly meetings.
- Ensure availability of up-to-date IRS letter of determination and 501 (c) (3) to all Board Members as needed.
- Prepare and submit quarterly financial report to UNA-SNY Treasurer.
801 Second Avenue
New York, NY, US 10017
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Occasional (weekly or monthly)
Times of day:Afternoons Evenings
Days of week:Weekdays