Do you love walking along the coast? Would you like to help improve habitat for otters & other marine life? Spend a day at the beach and call it service!
The Otter Project & Monterey Coastkeeper are seeking volunteers to participate in MPA Watch, an exciting monitoring project that allows you to see some of the most beautiful places in our area! In 2007 California adopted its first network of Marine Protected Areas along the Central Coast. The network is a series of marine reserves and marine conservation areas--underwater parks where certain activities are not allowed.
MPAs are a cutting edge tool of ocean conservation--and we want to know how they work! We are looking for volunteers to help us collect data for this project. Volunteers will be responsible for collecting and recording data on near-shore ocean resource use. This will involve monitoring ocean activities at a specified site for 1-2 hour shifts. Shifts can be irregularly scheduled and very flexible.
• Ability to spend extended periods of time outdoors in unpredictable central coast weather.
• Some monitoring sites will require moderate hiking.
• Volunteers will be asked to use basic field technology (gps and digital cameras) and web tools to share materials and information. No previous experience is necessary, but a willingness to learn new tricks is advisable!
• Flexibility -- just kidding! You can go out and survey any site, anytime you want.
• Desire to help shape monitoring protocols and troubleshoot problems in the field.
• Willingness to walk the beach in one of the world's most beautiful coastlines for 1-2 hours at a time!
• Volunteers must attend trainings
• Volunteers must have personal access to a vehicle Sign up today!