Volunteer Coordinator (this is an unpaid position) Location: Vancouver, BC
The Georgia Strait Alliance is devoted to protecting the marine environment where 75% of British Columbians live, work and play. Our vision is for a healthier Georgia Strait which is home to Orca whales and 118 other species at risk in the Salish Sea.
For over 25 years, Georgia Strait Alliance has been an effective voice for those who care about our local waters and all the creatures that call it home. We are that voice because we collaborate with individuals, communities, businesses and government. Our efforts move us toward a better future for our region that includes clean water and air, healthy wild salmon runs, rich marine life and natural areas, and sustainable communities.
We are looking for a Volunteer Coordinator to assist with the recruitment, management and motivation of volunteers in a variety of roles. This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience with a not-for-profit organization and to make an impact on important environmental issues. If you are an outgoing people person and care about the environment, we'd love to hear from you.
Volunteer Coordinator Responsibilities:
- Recruit new volunteers via postings on appropriate sites and through our email newsletter
- Respond to volunteer inquiries
- Train and orient new volunteers
- Create and manage a volunteer schedule and a volunteer contact list
- Liaise with the Executive Director and/or Board Committee Chair on volunteer issues and opportunities
- Liaise with program staff regarding project needs
- Act as the main point of contact for volunteers and provide ongoing support
- Review and match the skills, experiences and expectations of volunteers to available duties
- Coordinate and implement information sessions for potential volunteers
- Coordinate and implement volunteer appreciation initiatives
Volunteer Coordinator Qualifications:
- You have some experience with volunteer recruitment and/or management, or as a volunteer
- You are highly organized
- You are detailed oriented
- You can manage multiple volunteers and projects or events
- You are motivated and community-oriented
- You are friendly, upbeat and have an outgoing personality
- You can relate to all age groups and personality types in a professional manner
- Established connections of reliable and proven volunteers would be an asset
- Commitment to the goals and mission of Georgia Strait Alliance
Time commitment: 12 to 20 hours a month
We can provide office space as required but candidate must have own computer.
Areas of focus:
- Vancouver, BC, Canada
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Occasional (weekly or monthly)
Times of day:Evenings
Days of week:Weekdays Weekends