Volunteer opportunity posted by: Multnomah County Office of Sustainability
Posted on: January 24, 2013
The Garden Project Coordinator will provide ongoing support to Multnomah County Sheriff's Office (MCSO) staff and inmate work crews to maintain the raised bed vegetable garden at Inverness Jail, located at 11540 NE Inverness Drive in Portland. Main responsibilities will include weekly correspondence with Inverness Jail staff coordinator, weekly site visits to raised bed garden site located outside the secure perimeter, and guidance regarding organic and sustainable garden management, soil amendments, planting techniques, etc. The Garden Project Coordinator will begin her or his responsibilities in March 2013.
• Provide on-site support to garden work crews on best practices in organic garden maintenance and management
• Develop a work/grow plan with guidance from the Office of Sustainability that includes weekly, monthly, and season-long tasks and goals
• Oversee the implementation of weekly project tasks and goals in partnership with Inverness Jail staff coordinator
• Conduct informal site surveys with work crews to assess level of interest, skills learned, etc.
• Provide on-going reporting to Office of Sustainability staff, including recommendations for project improvement, successes, challenges, and other pertinent information
• Facilitate harvest and preparation of crops for donation to the Oregon Food Bank
• Track the amount (by weight) and type of food grown
• Experience working with inmates is preferred but not required
• Organic gardening or agricultural experience, preferably in the Pacific Northwest
• Project management experience and strong organizational skills
• Strong verbal communication skills
• Experience working with communities from diverse racial, socioeconomic, and educational backgrounds
• Four (4) hours of volunteer training with Inverness Jail, plus a full background check
• Approximately two (2) hours per week of on-site support, not including transportation to/from Inverness Jail
• Approximately four (4) hours per month for planning and correspondence with Inverness Jail staff coordinator
• Inverness Jail provides a training on working with inmate populations
• Multnomah County Office of Sustainability will provide volunteers with planting schedules, donated materials, and on-going support for garden maintenance.
If you are interested in this position, please contact John Wasiutynski in the Multnomah County Office of Sustainability at firstname.lastname@example.org.