Volunteer opportunity posted by: Intercordia Canada
Posted on: December 5, 2012
Intercordia Canada is an organization that facilitates international experiences for young, Canadian university students through the lens ofbeing with rather than doing for. We are currently seeking mentors to accompany students to their placements to act as facilitator for regular reflections, to check in with students throughout their placements and other duties that are specific depending on the location of placement. The program runs either for 8 weeks or 12 weeks, but mentors must be able to commit to living in placement for 12 weeks. Our placements include: Nicaragua, Honduras, Ecuador, Rwanda, Ghana, Dominican Republic, and Bosnia.
- be familiar with the country where they will be working - know some of the context of the country and people and in relation to Canada
- have some working use of the official language of the country (or one of them if there are multiple)
- be committed to the principle of being with rather than doing for
- have international experience
- be comfortable committing to 13 weeks abroad and a two day training seminar before-hand in Toronto
- support the goals, programming and mission of Intercordia Canada
- have experience facilitating, working with others
- be primarily interested in the role of mentor
Mentors are encouraged to live alongside of students through this journey. While mentors are asked to be an Intercordia representative for students, they are not expected to create the program; mentors are there to support students through personal growth, challenges and reflections. Mentors will:
- offer support and guidance throughout the Intercordia experience
- facilitate group reflection
- reflect regularly with students individually
- mediate group dynamics that may arise
- respond to crisis if and when it occurs
- work in collaboration with an Intercordia representative in Canada through ongoing communication and reflection
- liaise with our placement partners in the placement country
Intercordia Canada will pay return airfare, provide room and board while away. We are an equal opportunity organization and welcome all the dimensions of diversity.
Please see our website if you have any questions about our program. If you are interested in applying please send a resume and a cover letter detailing your interest in the position, and alignment with the Intercordia mission email@example.com January 8th. Cover letter and resume should beone file with your name as the file name. Subject should be "Mentor Role". Please indicate if you have a preferred country within which to mentor and why.