Volunteer Opportunity posted by: WISE & Healthy Aging
Posted on: July 16, 2013
Hours: 8-hour shift two days per week
Supervised by: Community Benefit Manager
1) Location of volunteer position: 1527 4th Street, Santa Monica, 90401
May be required to meet with clients throughout Los Angeles County.
2) Purpose of Position: Counsel Hispanic individuals age 50 and older who are residents of Los Angeles County in the enrollment process for key benefit programs.
3) Primary responsibilities: On-line screening to determine client eligibility; complete public benefit applications forms (including document collection and problem resolution); educate clients on how to use the benefit once it is awarded; supervise and train volunteers; provide assistance in recertifying with the program to ensure no gap in coverage; perform administrative tasks and data entry; conduct outreach.
4) Length and Time (Hours & days) commitment expected: 8 hour shift twice a week
5) Special knowledge/skills/abilities required: Ability to maintain client confidentiality and privacy. Demonstration of cultural competency (obtain a score of 80% or above on CC exam). Fully bilingual in spoken and written English and Spanish. Must have excellent interpersonal skills, particularly the ability to listen carefully. Attention to detail and ability to maintain accurate records. Computer literacy, including data entry and using scheduling software.
6) Training/orientation offered: Orientation and training about public benefit programs and their eligibility requirements are provided by Community Benefits manager.
7) Eligibility requirements;
8) Benefits: The volunteer Culturally Competent Lead Benefits Counselor is eligible for a weekly stipend of $100.00 in recognition of volunteer commitment and completing a target number of monthly screenings and applications. Must make a one year commitment to the program.
Please submit your resume and letter of interest to: firstname.lastname@example.org