Brown Girl Surf works to build a diverse, environmentally reverent, and joyful women's surf culture by increasing access to surfing, cultivating community, amplifying the voices of women of color surfers, and taking care of the earth. We offer low cost surf clinics, create and cultivate media and arts which raise the profile of women of color in surfing, host communitybuilding events that celebrate our culture and mission, conduct environmental stewardship and activism, and participate in a variety of surf and ocean related forums to provide a "brown girl surfer" perspective.
In July we will be starting our Surf Sister Summer Camp, a program for teen girls that helps them develop a stronger connection to the ocean through surfing, community, and environmental education – all at the beach! We offer our four 3-day summer camp sessions on a sliding scale basis, so the program is accessible to all.
It is a big logistical undertaking to take 6-12 girls, plus surfboards and wetsuits from Oakland to the Pacific Ocean. And we need your help. This year WE ARE RECRUITING A CORE VOLUNTEER TEAM to provide logistical and transportation support to our summer camp. You do not need to know how to surf, or even like getting in the water. We need folks who can support us with transportation, supervision, and other logistics.
Core Volunteer Team responsibilities include all of the following:
1) Commit to volunteering for at least 6 days of summer camp (see dates below)
2) Drive girls and equipment from Oakland to Half Moon Bay and back (we have soft racks that attach to any car without a scratch for carrying 2-3 boards). We are primarily seeking volunteers who have their own transportation for our Core Volunteer Team
3) Provide one on one interactions with girls during program time, to help make girls feel comfortable and included.
4) Help create lunch
5) Help manage staging logistics at the beach (getting wetsuits and boards and other supplies in and out of cars, to and from the beach, help participants get into wetsuits)
Volunteer benefits include:
- Being part of a transformational experience for girls
- Going to the beach a LOT this summer
- Connecting with an amazing community of women (Brown Girl Surf!) who love the ocean.
The dates for the Summer Camps are:
July 12-14, July 19-21, August 2-4 and August 9-11
3039 Chestnut St
Oakland, CA, US
Start and end dates:The dates for the Summer Camps are: July 12-14, July 19-21, August 2-4 and August 9-11
Duration:Less than 3 months
Time commitment:Occasional (weekly or monthly)
Times of day:Mornings Afternoons
Days of week:Weekdays
Extra details:Training provided