About International Center on Small Hydro Power
InternationalCenter on Small Hydro Power (ICSHP) is a public and non-profit institution directly under auspices of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), China's Ministry of Water Resources and Ministry of Commerce. ICSHP serves as the headquarters of the International Network on Small Hydro Power (INSHP), an international organization with more than 400 members from 78 countries.
The International Liaison Division promotes international cooperation among network members. There is the opportunity for a self-motivated Spanish-speaker with an interest in small hydropower and sustainable rural development to join the division and support its work with Latin America. The division contributed significantly to the Latin America and Caribbean content of the World Small Hydropower Development Report, ICSHP and UNIDO's first flagship assessment of small hydropower capacity worldwide. It is expected, that the Programme Officer for Latin America joins the World Small Hydropower Development Report Secretariat based at ICSHP to support the ongoing research and publication process.
Tasks may include
- Up-dating existing country reports of Latin America and the Caribbean
- Translating contributions from Spanish into English, as well as some editing
- Communications with network members
- Division support (e.g. project proposals, translations, newsletter, website contributions)
Qualifications and Experience
A Bachelor's Degree (Master's preferred) with a minimum of two years work experience in one of the following areas: environmental policy, renewable energy, engineering, international relations.
- Native Spanish speaker and very good English level
- Ability to work autonomously and research
- Ability to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time
- Excellent communication skills to maintain relations with network members or other international institutions
- Excellent computer skills
- Policy analysis
- Editing and proof-reading experience
Salary and Visa Information
The role here is classified as 'voluntary'. Applications will therefore have to apply for the "F" Business Visa generally. Here at the ICSHP, whilst we cannot influence the outcome of any visa decision, we do provide administrative support for your application.
The successful candidate will be provided, in return for full time hours (8.30-16.30 Monday to Friday) the following:
- Free and secure accommodation at the center with cooking facilities
- One free meal Monday to Friday
- Basic stipend to meet additional needs (3,000 RMB/month)
It is important that given the voluntary nature of the position that any applicants have the necessary finance to purchase the flight and obtain the "F" visa as the center does not reimburse these costs.
Length of contract is for 6 months initially (with the option to extend).
Preferred starting date: as soon as possible
Nanshan Road 136
Hangzhou, Zhejiang Sheng, China 310002
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:Full time (30-40 hours/week)
Days of week:Weekdays
Extra details:Stipend provided
International volunteer options:International volunteers welcome