Norlha is a non-profit, non-political, non-religious NGO based in Lausanne, Switzerland, that supports people living in the most remote areas of the Himalayas. Through its farming, environmental and gender awareness projects, it strives to ensure food security and generate extra income for families in a sustainable manner while at the same time protecting the environment. It also has a strong focus on supporting women. Norlha currently undertakes a project in Bhutan; in order to support the management of this project Norlha is looking for a Programme Officer.
Part time volunteer/ internship position
This Swiss-based position provides support to the Norlha Kathmandu office and our implementing partners on the implementation of Norlha's Sustainable Agriculture Project in Trashigang district in eastern Bhutan.
Mission and activities
- Working with Norlha's Kathmandu Office to effectively monitor and evaluate the implementation of the activities and the realization of the results of the project.
- Establish progress- and financial reports of the project for internal management and as source for reporting to funders
- Providing technical information on sustainable agriculture and erosion control and linking with technical specialists upon demand from Norlha field staff in Nepal
- Collaborating with Fundraising officers to identify potential funding agencies, to provide project information and to assure project reporting to donors
- Collaborating with Communication officers in producing materials about the project targeting general public
- Contributing to the design of additional projects related to sustainable agriculture: needs assessments, proposal drafting and review together with Norlha Kathmandu office.
- To work in close collaboration with Norlha's Gender Team to actively foster women participating in and benefiting from the project.
- Experience and/or engagement in international development, involvement in field projects in developing countries
- Interest and preferable experience in project management (planning, monitoring, reporting, financial management)
- Knowledge/experience of sustainable agriculture, food security, income generation, and proactive interest in learning more
- Proficient in reporting, in analysis and synthesis
- Degree (or final stage) in studies related to international development
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in English and preferably also in French
- Good knowledge of and affinity with the Himalayas are a definite asset
- Highly motivated and dynamic personality, comfortable working autonomously and in a team, eager to take initiatives
- Engagement in poverty reduction and development of people in need, focus on capacity building
- Strengthening your project management and NGO experience
- Working in an enthusiastic and motivated cohesive team,
- High degree of autonomy, good sense of responsibility, ample room for initiative
Duration and working time: minimum 6, preferably 9 months or longer. 30%
Location: Norlha office in Lausanne. Partial home-based work is possible
This part-time, long-term volunteer position is not paid and an applicant must have a legal right for long term volunteering in Switzerland
This volunteer opportunity can be performed from a remote location.
- Lausanne, Canton de Vaud, Switzerland
Start and end dates:ASAP
Duration:3 months or longer
Time commitment:A lot (10+ hours/week)