Techie Youth has figured out how to substantially-reduce homelessness nationwide and needs your help in following through with our plans - what other role can offer you a direct concrete opportunity for you to better the world at a grand-scale? :)
Come volunteer with Techie Youth, a non-profit charity of NYC that helps foster-kids (children who have been removed from abusive/neglectful parents/homes) who are approaching the age-of-emancipation (18-21.) We train them in computer-technology and then help them begin a career in the IT-sector. Statistically, without Techie Youth, most of these kids will become homeless or incarcerated - in NYC 80% of homeless people were previously in foster-care. We operate in collaboration with the City of NY and several tech-companies including Microsoft.
The Techie Youth initiative ( http:www.TechieYouth.org ) is a unique groundbreaking approach that uses technology-education to fix a major worldwide problem (homelessness) - we were recently featured on NY1 News, ABC Here & Now, and are scheduled for interviews at several other news stations.
Duties of your role as Tech-Focused Teacher's Aide include:
- helping/guiding students in the Techie Youth classroom as needed (under the guidance of our experienced teaching-staff)
- being an additional set-of-eyes in the classroom to ensure that ALL students remain engaged throughout the class time
- answering student questions
- intense hands-on experience working in a classroom of 25-30 underprivileged youth, over a short 6-week summer semester.
- performing a huge LIFE-SAVING good deed for the kids in our program
- as a respected 501(c)3 registered charity of NYC, we will accommodate all (legitimately-earned) requests for you to gain school credit, letters of recommendation, positive employment referrals, etc.
- you will likely learn new tech-skills too, as our curriculum is highly-accelerated to provide full A-to-Z technology career-training
- upon completion of the volunteer program, you will have the option to be strongly-considered for future paid teaching role openings at Techie Youth
This role requires commitment to attend our full NYC-based 6-week-semester running 25-hours/week, Mon-Fri during July-August. You may select from two shifts, 8am-1pm and 1pm to 6pm, or choose to work both shifts (this would be a huge perk for us, but is not a requirement for being selected as a volunteer.)
REQUIRED: must have a core understanding of IT and computer-technology hands-on; you can be self-taught, a comp-sci major or just someone with a passion/knack for tech.
REQUIRED: coherent verbal demeanor AND good patience to guide young-adults
REQUIRED: dedication and commitment to this role - our team is very passionate about this initiative and we want to ensure all other participants are as well.
This role is open to students in college or graduate school, or those who have recently graduated, are age 18 or older, and who do not have any criminal-history that would disqualify them from teaching youth.
- New York, NY, US
Start and end dates:07/05/2016-08/12/2016/
Duration:Less than 3 months
Time commitment:A lot (10+ hours/week)
Times of day:Mornings Afternoons
Days of week:Weekdays