Passionate about saving democracy, supporting progressive causes and electing democrats across the country? Want to have the freedom to create and lead a marketing department? Civitech is looking for a Head of Marketing with the creativity, experience and progressive values to bring our marketing efforts to the next level.
Civitech is a public benefit corporation dedicated to creating a fairer and more equitable democracy by building the tools and infrastructure needed to increase civic participation, empower Democratic candidates to win, and support the success of progressive causes. Since its founding in 2019, over 100 partners -- a range of nonprofit organizations, national political committees, and individual campaigns -- have utilized Civitech’s tools to reach tens of millions of voters to help create a more equitable and progressive democracy.
We are looking for a seasoned marketing expert who can develop, execute and lead a cohesive strategy around all facets of our marketing efforts -- including brand, lead gen, SEO, and product marketing. This role will be essential to positioning our key product,CampaignOS and making it known to candidates, campaign staff, organizations, and volunteers. As a senior leader at the company, the Head of Marketing will grow a team of 2 (yourself and a direct report) into a department that executes major brand efforts and a product launches in 2021 and beyond, with a laser focus on getting us to a SaaS product-driven acquisition model by mid-2022.
It is important that our team reflects the diversity of the organizations we seek to serve. We strongly encourage women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ, and others otherwise underrepresented in the technology sector to apply.
What You Will Do
- Build Civitech's marketing strategy for 2021 and beyond: Analyze Civitech's audience and work to date, identifying key marketing strengths to build on and challenges to mitigate. Work with the senior leadership team to translate Civitech's objectives into revenue, growth, engagement, and conversion goals across target audiences, and create a multi-channel strategy to execute on those goals.
- Refine Civitech's brand identity: Work with the senior leadership team to identify opportunities to evolve our brand identity and create our brand pillars. Identify key brand entry points and ensure quality and consistency across user interactions with our brand.
- Define and develop our target audiences: Build on Civitech's existing client, partner, and user base to define target audiences. Create new user funnels and refine existing ones, to drive conversions, revenue, and build brand loyalty. Continuously monitor user growth, revenue, engagement, and conversion metrics across key channels, and test and iterate tactics.
- Create compelling, high-performing marketing campaigns and public-facing content to meet our objectives. Build campaigns to grow and engage our user base tied to key moments throughout the electoral cycle.
- Collaborate closely with sales to develop and execute on revenue generation strategies.
- Manage public relations strategy (with support of an outside agency) to advance Civitech in the progressive technology space.
- Manage a budget to include product marketing, PR, events, SEO, and lead gen efforts. Develop key metrics around scaling that budget over time.
- Manage creative, communications, and digital talent: Align team behind your marketing strategy, defining and holding the team accountable to key performance. Coach and develop department leads. Foster a collaborative and fun working environment.
- 10+ years relevant experience and proven track record leading not only strategy but also day to day implementation of SaaS product marketing, demand & lead generation, PR/ brand marketing, content strategy, SEO, and partnerships, with the ability to establish, monitor, and communicate key metrics to determine the profitability of these initiatives.
- Ability and eagerness to set high level strategy and also get the work done on tight timelines, acting as both manager of and an individual contributor to a small but mighty team.
- Demonstrated success managing and leading staff, particularly as it relates to building a team from the ground up.
- Strong preference for people with experience in politics or industries where clients are predominantly short-duration entities, client lifecycles are extremely short and customer acquisition opportunities are highly cyclical.
- Ability to engage in discussion around political technology products, elections, and campaigns; expertise or work experience not required. Familiarity with using/managing CRM software, Google Analytics, social analytics.
- Familiarity with SEM and SEO.
- Experience working with reporters or support a public relations campaign.
- Approaches work with an analytical, innovative, and growth mindset.
- Flexible, pragmatic, comfortable with ambiguity, have a quick bounce-back time after a setback, low ego.
- Commitment to a leadership style and building an organization culture that lifts up and supports our staff, clients, partners, and voters.
- Demonstrated investment in mentoring and also in making the world a better place.
- Commitment to building a company and staff that reflect the diverse backgrounds and experiences of the voters, campaigns, and progressive organizations we serve.
- Passion for electing Democrats and building innovative, creative digital marketing programs and campaigns.
- Austin, TX or Washington DC based candidates strongly preferred. We will consider a remote hire in exceptional circumstances.
- Full-time, competitive salary commensurate with location and experience: $130K - $160K for Austin based candidates, $140K - $175K for Washington DC based candidates