Catchafire is a full service, on-demand solution designed to address the wide-ranging and complex needs of nonprofits by connecting them with talented pro bono professionals. We partner with major funders (read more here) to provide unlimited access to Catchafire to tens of thousands of nonprofits ready to invest in the growth of their organizations and the impact of their service.
Catchafire is home to a diverse and vibrant community of volunteers, partners, nonprofits, and staff with the drive to do something that matters and insist that we can use our talents in service of our shared humanity. Here are some ways to get to know us better:
ABOUT THE ROLE AND THE DEPARTMENT
Catchafire’s Finance Team ensures the financial health of the entire organization through a multitude of avenues, including budgeting, forecasting, financial operations, and strategy.
As the Senior Finance Analyst, you will play a critical role, working closely with the rest of the Finance function on key activities and, at times, will be expected to work on special projects as relevant and suited to your unique skills.
At Catchafire, we feel that building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team culture is critical to our organization’s mission, and our vision of an empathetic, inclusive, and loving world. We are seeking individuals motivated to continue on this journey with us.
- Analytical and Structured Thinker: You are extremely logical, reasoned, and adept at discovering root causes and assumptions. You can break down complex problems to reach a simple solution.
- Comfortable in ambiguous situations: You are able to chart a path forward on work that does not have a clear roadmap. You are able to leverage other stakeholders to advise on your work as needed. You are excited by the opportunity to shape a function in a growing organization.
- Curiosity and growth mindset: You do not have an ego, and you’re more interested in learning than being right. You are humble and see humility as a bedrock to being a great learner. You are deeply curious about things, and ask a lot of questions. You don’t accept the status quo, and are always wondering how to improve things.
- Comfortable giving and receiving feedback: You welcome feedback from others, and are comfortable giving feedback in difficult situations). You are open to disagreeing with and offering your point of view to senior stakeholders.
- Collaborative: You work seamlessly with a wide range of teams in order to create relevant solutions. You are able to build buy-in from your teammates, elevate work across teams, and you are also adept at getting what you need from the many stakeholders involved in cross-functional work
- Keep many balls in the air: You are efficient and organized. You can take in a range of priorities and keep progress going on many fronts at once.
- Unwavering attention to detail: You are meticulous and have excellent organizational skills. You are able to work fast without cluttering your desk or mind. You have a knack for project management and a love for well-formatted documentation. You have a passion for copyediting and are the first to find errors when you review a document.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE SENIOR FINANCE ANALYST
- Increasingly grow into ownership of our financial operations by executing day-to-day processes with a high bar of excellence
- Support the FP&A Manager to elevate & optimize Financial Operations systems to set them up for further scale
- Become an expert in the current expenditures of the company and run day-to-day expense management, projections, and budget management at the functional level
- Collaborate on various financial analyses to help guide decision making for various stakeholders across the organization, including the Executive team
- Manage our bookkeeper to timely, accurate bookkeeping and a clean chart of accounts
- Maintain and seek to improve our internal processes and recordkeeping, including vendor management, billing, and contracts
- Manage the financials of our partner nonprofit, Catchafire Foundation, and in partnership with the FP&A Manager, help implement approaches to scale their operations
- Research industry and economic trends that have an impact on Catchafire, and present analyses to various stakeholders
EXPERIENCE / BACKGROUND
In order to be successful in this role you must meet most, if not all, of the following needs:
- Progressive (likely at least 1-2 years) professional experience in a finance or operational role in a dynamic environment (i.e., startup or nonprofit) or in the financial services industry
- Experience creating financial forecasting and analytical models in Excel
- Highly skilled at translating analysis into guidance for making business decisions
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
Nice to haves:
- Interest in social entrepreneurship
- Experience with SaaS finance
HOW TO APPLY
Catchafire’s office is based in New York City, though we will be working remotely until at least April 2021 due to COVID-19.
We are open to candidates who are not located in New York City, but are located near a major airport and willing to travel regularly once it is safe to do so. We will continue to assess our return date and when we will resume work travel as the situation progresses, and consider our employees’ safety as a top priority.
Catchafire is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We are also welcoming to any reasonable accommodations that can be made for candidates in our hiring process.