1156 M St Northwest
If you are a recent graduate or a graduate student who is passionate about improving education policy through communications and advocacy, the HCM Strategists Internship Program offers a unique opportunity for professional growth and learning.
Our interns are enthusiastic, innovative and strategic thinkers with excellent verbal and written communications skills. Interns are team players and have a strong commitment to our clients. They also bring a sense of humor and enjoy having fun.
The HCM Strategists Internship Program affords young professionals the opportunity to:
- Experience how the academic study of policy and advocacy work translates into real-life projects and initiatives;
- Learn valuable insights into professional office culture that will prepare you for any future career path;
- Gain firsthand experience working on a variety of projects designed to communicate and advocate for specific policies in K-12 and higher education reform; and
- Attend education hearings and conferences, featuring the most influential experts in the field.
Qualifications: Currently enrolled in a graduate level program, or recent graduate of a graduate level program. Ability to translate and broadly communicate complex research, policy and legislation topics for a variety of audiences. Knowledge of the Every Students Succeeds Act preferred, but not required.
When: Summer 2018, 20-25 hours/week
This internship includes a monthly stipend.
Responsibilities: Interns with HCM Strategists perform a variety of tasks that support our partners and staff in our legislative, media, research and policy, and administrative work.
Research and policy tasks may include:
- Research on state and federal education activities in the areas of state accountability systems, assessments and reporting, financial transparency, educator quality and more;
- Interviewing state and district policy leaders, advocates, and stakeholder groups on issues regarding state accountability and assessment systems.
- Analyzing states progress and effectiveness in implementing the accountability provisions of the Every Student Succeeds Act.
Legislative tasks may include:
- Attending, either online or in-person, state board of education meetings or other policy focused meetings for the purposes of tracking state education decisions;
- Monitoring federal and state legislative hearings and mark-ups, either online or in-person, for the purposes of tracking specific legislative policy initiatives pertinent to client’s agenda or HCM work; and
- Compiling and assembling client briefing materials for Capitol Hill or Administration visits/meetings.
Media tasks may include:
- Monitoring education policy-related publications and social media outlets for relevant news stories, related to client interests and activities; and
- Partnering with the social media coordinators to develop infographics and share relevant information through social media channels.
Administrative tasks may include:
- Compiling and assembling information requested by clients, as necessary;
- Reviewing of both client and HCM documents; and
- Assisting with general client meeting planning tasks.
Qualities Sought: Ability to work in high-paced environment, enthusiasm, commitment, ability to work well with others, interest in issue areas, open-mindedness, excellent research skills, effective verbal and written communication skills, and a sense of humor.
Skills Needed: Proficient with Microsoft Office and Google Drive.
Course Credit: HCM will gladly work with the student’s academic department to ensure the internship meets course requirements, which may earn the student course credit for the experience. Intern is responsible for furnishing HCM with details of the course requirements, in order to ensure the experience aligns with the required objectives.
HCM Strategists is a public policy advocacy and consulting firm dedicated to making a difference in the lives of students and patients. We believe that good policy ideas are created when individuals are given a voice, and that sound public policy drives progress. We strive to align, advocate for and advance such policy to improve education and health outcomes.
Our team and record of effectiveness demonstrate that achieving policy change takes a combination of high-level government experience, an understanding of people’s struggles, a network of strong relationships, keen analytical and listening skills, and the relentless commitment to find fresh, creative approaches to addressing issues.
For more information on our firm, please visit our website at www.hcmstrategists.com.
How to Apply:
Please send cover letter, resume, two brief (1-3 pages, approx.) writing samples and a minimum of two professional references to email@example.com specifying Summer 2018 Education Internship in the subject line. Please have one writing sample include a policy position paper or a memo which outlines specific policy recommendations.
HCM Strategists is an equal opportunity employer affording all employees and job applicants’ fair and equal treatment. HCM complies with the letter and spirit of all applicable federal, state, and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination, including discrimination based on race, age, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, veteran status, and disabilities.
How To Apply
To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume, two writing samples and a minimum of two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with Summer 2018 Education Internship in the subject line .