About Karp Strategies
Karp Strategies is an urban strategy consulting firm serving public, private, and non-profit clients throughout the five boroughs and increasingly, nationwide. Karp Strategies just celebrated its third birthday and we’ve grown tremendously from a team of one to nine, soon to be twelve. The office is in Manhattan’s Financial District and offers fabulous amenities. (Fitness classes and meditation? Got it. Nap Room? Done. Coffee? Of course. Amazing space with funky music? Totally).
We value and celebrate diversity and inclusion in our team.
What’s our team like? We’re driven, collaborative, and entrepreneurial. Energy and passion power our business and we look for candidates who share in that excitement to help us continue to build something special. The team of passionate urban planners and policy professionals works at the sweet spot where data, people, and place intersect.
What We Need
Karp Strategies seeks a part-time, hourly Operations Manager/Executive Assistant to support an energetic and growing consulting team. Candidates should expect 20-30 hours per week of work that consists of on-site and potentially partial remote work. In the initial weeks of the position, hours may be slightly higher to accommodate onboarding and outstanding projects.
What You'll Do
You’ll own our office atmosphere – it will be your job to make sure that our office runs smoothly and exceeds expectations. This includes but is not limited to:
- Maître D: You’re often the first person guests will interact with when they enter our personal office or when they call us, ensuring that their experience with us excesses all expectations. This doesn’t mean you have to be over the top cheerful (unless you are, which is a bonus!), but you’ll welcome guests and employees with authentic warmth.
- Onboarding: You’ll play a huge role in providing a welcoming, professional experience for our Karp Strategies team members.
- Culture Ambassador: You’ll contribute to and nurture our company culture and environment to keep employees happy and productive, including planning and implementing internal events and social activities thoughtfully
- Calendar Planner: Assist with resolving scheduling conflicts and coordinate logistic for meetings as needed for both the CEO and the team
- Purchasing and Procurement: Anticipate needs and procurement of office, cleaning, and kitchen/pantry supplies and keep all areas fully stocked
- Operational Excellence: Ensure our office (our 2nd home!) is kept clean and orderly fashion, manage local facility requests and emergencies (e.g. interacting with our office space, etc.), coordinate and oversee interoffice moves, and maintain and update office protocols. Acts as point-of-contact between facility vendors, building managers and janitorial staff.
- Policy Maker: After you get an understanding of the flow of our office, you’ll design and implement the best practices and maintain updated documentation of office polices and processes, including but not limited to supporting the CEO with our office handbook, insurance documents, contracts with vendors and partners.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable and experienced in executive business administration and day-to-day operational tasks. The candidate we seek will thrive in a fast-paced startup environment, is an adept task manager, and will be able to work with us to streamline operations as we continue to scale. Professionalism, attention to detail, and high-quality writing skills are critical.
Responsibilities of the Operations Manager/Executive Assistant include:
- Expertly coordinate the CEO’s calendar and manage scheduling with clients and partners;
- Support the CEO’s external communications with high-stakes external clients, partners, vendors, job candidates, and others;
- Lead meeting preparation by securing space, managing technology, and preparing printed materials and agendas;
- Support team with high-caliber briefing materials for key meetings and clients;
- Oversee and execute delivery of critical administrative procedures regarding to project proposals and project execution, including meeting coordination, completion of critical forms, and compilation of materials;
- Manage internal team meeting agendas and follow-up assignments to coordinate follow up meetings and events; and
- Compile and file expense receipts and other financial data.
- Manage office inventory, place and track orders for office supplies, furnishings, and other team necessities;
- Manage internal filing system and filing protocol, streamline file organization and naming conventions where necessary, including highly sensitive HR, project records, and financial documentation;
- Coordinate printing and publication of marketing and client materials;
- Streamline day-to-day business operations by developing, implementing, and maintaining administrative systems as business needs arise;
- Lead the new staff onboarding process, including but not limited to, technology procurement, benefits applications, and orientation;
- Process and file incoming and outgoing mail, including but not limited to, checks, agreements, and sensitive client materials;
- Manage relationships with key Karp Strategies vendors including our bookkeeper, office space staff, technology/IT providers, benefits providers, and printing and binding vendors.
- Maintain and periodically review documentation for the firm’s critical city certifications (e.g. Women-Owned Business Enterprise (WBE) certification);
- Support contract management and development, including but not limited to, coordinating with external contracts lawyer, organizing and assembling required documentation, and assisting in associated paperwork; and
- Spearhead weekly data entry in Karp Strategies’ Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system.
What You'll Bring
The ideal candidate is interested in a remote work position with semi-regular meetings at the Karp Strategies’ Financial District office as tasks require. To utilize remote work aspect of position, candidate must be able to demonstrate success using remote work platforms and shared screen technologies (Google Hangouts, GoToMeeting, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience actively supporting senior executives; in office management and building an incredible office environment and culture.
- Pride in creating a positive environment in order to maximize our team’s happiness and productivity.
- You embrace the ambiguity that a high growth company offers and enjoy rolling up your sleeves to solve problems.
- A high school diploma, associate’s degree, or bachelor’s degree;
- You’re (obviously) organized, detail-oriented, and see tasks through until they’re completed. You will run a tight ship!
- Exceptional and diplomatic communications skills, both verbal and written;
- Must act with a consistently high degree of professionalism;
- Confidential and trustworthy - must use good judgement and discretion as needed;
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member;
- Expert level skills in MS Office and Google Applications (Gmail, Google Drive, and Google Hangouts);
- Familiarity/proficiency in Adobe Suite, Insightly, and Wix strongly desired.
How You Will Apply
To apply for this position, send your resume, cover letter, and two recent references to email@example.com, and indicate you are applying for the Operations Manager/Executive Assistant position in the subject line. Candidates may be asked to perform a brief writing exercise during the interview process.
This job description is for an at-will position which is non-exempt under the FLSA. Karp Strategies provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants for employment regardless of their age, race, creed, color, religion, national origin, alienage, citizenship, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, partnership status, military status, predisposing genetic characteristics, domestic violence status, sex offense of stalking victim status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws.
Minimum Education Required