Vice President, Racial Justice Communications – Southeast US – Georgia or Florida
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world. Our communications and digital experts combine creative skills with deep sector expertise to help change-makers maximize the impact of their work.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco and Seattle, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns. Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
We are currently seeking a Vice President who shares our passion for building a more representative democracy and just society. They will bring their expertise and depth of knowledge in racial equity and social justice to work on campaigns that advance the rights of underserved communities and that end structural barriers to progressive change, from fighting voter suppression and expanding voting rights, reducing health and education disparities, ensuring equal access to and treatment within the criminal justice system and promoting progressive immigration reform.
The southern region of the US continues to play a historic role in this country as it relates to our evolving quest for racial equity and social justice. Fenton’s work and clients are at the forefront of this work so an expansion into this region is a natural progression for us as we seek to support efforts that are turning the tide on addressing systemic racism and advancing social justice. While last year’s critical election gave us hope and was a victory for democracy, the fight for social justice continues. With 50+ voter suppression bills in Georgia alone, our work must persevere.
They will play a pivotal role in the strategic direction of our account work and new business activities. This role requires a strategic thinker who is able to gain a deep understanding of the agency capabilities, recommend how we develop and package those capabilities and match them to client needs.
The VP oversees account teams in addition to direct reports; contributes to and leads the creation of strategies that strengthen our firm in areas such as professional development or strengthening our subject areas of focus for the firm. They are a trusted counselor to our clients, a standard-bearer of excellence in our firm and a role model of leadership to our staff.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
· Providing the highest level of substantive, strategist counsel to clients to foster the relationship of a trusted advisor
· Ensuring that work produced by job team is of the highest quality
· Providing day-to-day oversight of multiple large accounts including strategic counsel, quality control checks, and evaluation of account progress and client satisfaction
· Ensuring that assigned clients receive regular status reports and budget updates
· Conducting strategic planning for individual organizations and coalition movements
· Writing contracts, grant proposals, high level strategy memos, and foundation reports
· Overseeing the development of strategy documents, communication plans, memos, press kits, and other collaterals by staff
· Editing press materials, including press releases, fact sheets and opinion pieces
· Editing and advising on the creations of research reports
· Pitching key reporters, prospective funders, and potential allies
· Conducting media trainings for clients and other spokespeople
· Advising on a range of public interest media campaigns
· Managing client budgets for profitability for preventing overages
· Ensuring direct reports meet or exceed weekly billings requirements
· Pitching and securing new business, focusing on potential clients who share Fenton’s progressive social perspective and commitment to sound environmental practices
· Meeting revenue goals established in advance with Managing Director
· Leading pitch teams
· Reviewing proposals and budgets for new accounts
· Providing budget projections for weekly financial meetings
· Developing and writing proposals
· Managing job teams and individual staff
· Assuming an office-wide role in training and mentoring staff
· Projecting hours needed from staff assigned to your accounts, working with other senior staff to distribute billable hours among junior staff as necessary
· Participating in regular strategy meetings with senior staff on organizational goals, growth and vision
· Attending staff/job team meetings and providing input and feedback on business, including client service, staff development, and office procedures
· Maintaining effective and efficient office structure through proper selection processes and coordination with Human Resources
· Pro-actively targeting key industry prospects; developing & writing proposals; pitching and securing new business, focusing on potential clients who share Fenton’s progressive social perspective and commitment to sound environmental practices
· Building, genuine, long term relationships with potential clients in order to drive revenue
· Tracking and monitoring ongoing leads in an organized, shareable fashion, collaborating with lead account individuals to work towards united success and client conversion
· Minimum Bachelors’ degree
· 8-12 years’ experience in public interest advocacy, or demonstrated equivalent experience in advocacy/political public relations with specific emphasis in racial justice
· Strong project management skills
· Demonstrated issue expertise in one or more of Fenton’s issue areas
· Experience in a public relations or advertising agency highly desirable; firm understanding of client billing process, client contracts and customer service
· Demonstrated ability to manage client account and budgets
· Demonstrated business development and public networking skills
· Demonstrated ability to pitch and land new business skills
· 5-7 years’ staff management and mentoring experience, including direct management of a staff of 2+ individuals at varying careers levels
· Excellent news sense and political savviness, as well as knowledge of print and electronic news media
· Ability to juggle multiple tasks under tight deadlines
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively – both verbal and nonverbal, with various levels of staff, clients, contractors and media
· Strong experience writing proposals
· Ability to interact and perform in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
· Demonstrated resourcefulness, optimism and flexibility in approach to project assignments
· Strong computer skills, including use of Microsoft Suite, Lexis-Nexis, as well as research Internet skills
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that aligns with our progressive values, such as medical, dental and vision coverage with competitive employer premium contributions, 401k Retirement plan with corporate match, Profit Sharing plan; generous PTO, days off to volunteer and strong company culture embedded with our values and commitment to social justice.
Fenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of women, people of color and members of the LGBTQ community. We strive to represent the diverse community reflected in our client work.
Vice President, Racial Justice Communications – Southeast US – Georgia or Florida
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education and public…
Fenton offers a comprehensive benefits package that aligns with our progressive values, such as medical, dental and vision coverage with competitive employer premium contributions, 401k Retirement plan with corporate match, profit sharing plan, generous PTO, days off to volunteer and strong company culture embedded with our values and commitment to social justice.
Fenton offers a comprehensive benefits package that aligns with our progressive values, such as medical, dental and vision coverage with competitive employer premium…