Who We Are
I.G. Advisors (I.G.) is an award-winning, London-based strategy consultancy specialising in social and environmental change. Our mission is to build the capacity of non-profits, businesses and philanthropists to achieve impact and growth — from grassroots organisations working tirelessly in their communities through to those seeking large-scale, systemic change. Our collective intelligence, unparalleled cross-sector network and hands-on team expertise makes us the advisor, partner and employer of choice, allowing our clients to better achieve their goals.
We do this at three levels: through our Strategies, developed through human-centred, and participatory approaches; our Activation work, where we provide direct, practical support to ensure our strategies are successful and responsive; and finally our Sector Transformation work, where we use our cross-sectoral knowledge and experience to deliver new ideas, projects and thought leadership to #FixTheFlow of resources for good. We’re based in London, have a global team, and clients on every continent.
We are a mission-driven certified B Corp and our values underpin everything we do:
- We are Dynamic: We move fast with care and bring energy and enthusiasm to all we do.
- We have Integrity: We have a fundamental responsibility to be honest, ethical and true to our values.
- We are Performance Driven: We aim to deliver the best work for our clients, partners and each other.
- We are Challenging: We won’t settle for the status quo. We constantly push our clients, and ourselves, to do better.
Get to know us:
About the Role
Senior Advisors work across our charity, corporate and philanthropy clients (often at the same time); this role requires leadership, prioritisation, and creativity. Most often, Senior Advisors lead a team of project managers for client projects, or lead on larger projects, to deliver high quality work to the client, which includes the leadership of internal project teams, management of key client relationships, and line management of Advisors.
- Manage key client relationships, using your experience to pre-empt client needs and deliver creative, effective solutions for them. Maintain a detailed understanding of contract requirements.
- Lead the I.G. team to deliver client work of a quality that exceeds the standards set by the client, and adds to I.G.'s portfolio of high-quality work, acting as an external and internal point of contact, and fielding any queries or complaints.
- Where needed, independently develop deliverables for VIP clients to a superb standard, with minimal input and needed from the wider I.G. team.
- Support I.G.’s project management, making best use of the skills, capacity and knowledge of the team, and adding value to the production process where needed.
- Act as final-off for client deliverables, providing a strategic eye on recommendations and approaches.
- Lead meetings and workshops with clients, present deliverables, and secure buy-in from senior stakeholders within client organisations.
- Foster a culture of feedback and collaboration, and implement processes that ensure all client work is of a suitable standard before being sent.
- Implement processes to improve I.G.'s services and products in response to client feedback and business needs.
- Share and implement ideas, best practice and learning internally to benefit the wider team's work.
- Take responsibility for overall opportunities and risks for I.G., and lead on appropriate action, in consultation with team.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of best practice and team workload, leading on developing the team's knowledge and skills.
- Work with Management to set I.G. strategy in consultation with team, and lead on implementation where appropriate.
- Be the go-to person for area(s) of expertise within I.G., shaping area of work through active engagement in developing products & future planning.
- Take responsibility for advancing the business and client objectives of I.G. through tactically influencing and negotiating with key sector leaders.
- Maintain thorough understanding of a wide range of sector audiences' priorities, agendas and interests, and engage strategically to ensure benefit for I.G. & team.
- Be able and willing to take calculated risks in tactfully challenging clients or external stakeholders to further I.G.'s objectives.
- Commit 50% of time to business development activities for the firm, ensuring a healthy pipeline of new business, as well as regularly renewing contracts with existing clients.
- Effectively represent I.G. externally, aligning professional brand with I.G.'s, contributing to external forums in specialist area(s) on behalf of firm, acting as public figure and thought leader where appropriate.
- Strategically develop I.G.'s brand, pitch and client offering for the benefit of the firm and team.
- Proactively evaluate profitability of I.G.’s client contracts and projects, ensuring future proposals and negotiations with clients are commercially sound for the business.
- Tactically develop new business development processes, including proposal templates and project concepts, where beneficial to I.G. or the client.
- Support team to prepare business development proposals to a high standard, developing clear briefs and working with more junior team members to innovate around I.G.’s service and product offering.
- Act as sign-off for junior team proposals, ensuring accurate costing-up of work.
- Regularly cultivate and close new client relationships, supporting the Directors to set and meet revenue goals, and other financial indicators of success.
- Lead on ensuring the CRM is up to date, and used throughout the team.
- Provide clear direction and leadership for the team towards department and firm priorities, and support staff to meet their objectives.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of team projects, workload and performance objectives, leading on appraisals process.
- Provide high quality management and support to direct reports, usually Advisors, as well as project management to relevant project teams. Ensure excellent team communication and working dynamics, proactively addressing problems, and focussing on wellbeing as well as performance.
- Provide clear, regular and constructive feedback and recognition to direct reports, and formally appraise their performance on an annual basis.
- Act as role model for more junior staff, supporting their development and improving quality of their work.
- Identify key themes for development across team, and design and deliver solutions.
- Contribute to management discussions and strategic decision making where appropriate.
- Lead with integrity, inspiring confidence and managing in a transparent and consultative way, taking responsibility for problems.
- Salary: starting at £40,000, with a generous commission and bonus structure
- Hours: Full Time, Monday – Friday
- Location: London, SE1 (although, remote working during COVID-19)
- Benefits: Pension, health insurance, 38 days annual leave (including 25 days annual leave, your birthday off, UK bank holidays, and the time between Christmas and New Years), and a flexible working policy.
- Diversity & Inclusion: We are an internationally diverse organisation, with multiple languages, religions, nationalities, and ethnicities represented across the team. We are proactively anti-racist, feminist, and mental-health positive. All our staff are supported to bring their whole selves to work, build an inclusive culture, and follow their passions within the sectors we work in. We strongly encourage applications from black and minority ethnic candidates, as well as LGBTQAI+ and disabled individuals.
- Reporting to: Managing Director
Who You Are
The role of Senior Advisor is dynamic, exciting, varied, intense and constantly evolving. Our goal at I.G. Advisors is to go above and beyond expectations, delivering innovative, completely unique, ambitious, tailored solutions to our clients.
No two days at I.G. are ever the same; everyone on our team wears many hats (sometimes at the same time) and with great ambition comes the need for great people. We need multi-talented multitaskers who thrive on working on a diverse and varied slate of work. A Senior Advisor is expected to be:
- Brilliant: Keen to learn and gain experience in the philanthropic sector, with ideally 7-10 years of related work experience within the social impact space; that could be as a fundraiser, social entrepreneur, philanthropy or CSR professional.
- A strategic problem solver: Solving problems is at the heart of what we do. Our team is good at diagnosing issues and figuring out how to solve them; it’s a mix of bringing creative, big picture strategic vision, alongside practical solutions.
- Intellectually curious: You should have a solid understanding of trends and priorities in fundraising, philanthropy, social investment and corporate impact, and maintain an ability to keep up to date on these.
- A stellar communicator with first class relationship management skills: a people person who is “on brand” 100% of the time, with clear and persuasive verbal and written communications. This includes native level fluency in English, and additional languages are always a plus.
- A networked leader: someone with a strong history of building and maintaining positive connections in the sector, with a birds-eye sense of the key players in your areas of expertise and interest, and a willingness to bring this asset into your work with I.G.
- Organised & eagle eyed: Incredibly efficient and organised, known for your unparalleled attention to detail, and able to demonstrate responsiveness, reliability and dependability. A love of structure and deadlines, and knowledge of how to prioritise to meet them.
- An independent team player: Someone who thrives working with a small team in a flexible and fast-paced environment, as well as being an independent self-starter who can manage workload and assignments independently.
- An early adopter of technology who is savvy across many platforms and tools: Able to pick up new technology quickly; our regularly used tools include Xero, Salesforce, Asana, Timely, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, social media, and Slack;
- Discreet and able to handle confidentiality: Able to work sensitively with high profile individuals or private philanthropic entities.
- A coffee drinking dog lover: We are a dog friendly workplace and generally highly caffeinated (Tea drinkers welcome, too).
- Fresh, dynamic and slightly irreverent: Just like our podcast.